Don’t buy store cough drops, make your own homemade all-natural Honey Lemon Ginger Cough Drops! Made with only 3 ingredients and in less than 30 minutes.
This Honey Lemon Ginger Cough Drops recipe post comes to you courtesy of The Flu of 2015, Part Deux.
Yes, this morning, I woke up like this…with a fever, sore throat, post nasal drip, and body aches, AGAIN! I haven’t been sick in over 12 years and now this Winter season, actually just this month of January, I’ve been sick twice! Oh the joy.
Juno, The Blizzard of 2015, was in full blown competition today with my newfound flu. On a positive note, I had a darn good excuse for not going away today. On a not-so-positive note, I needed some throat and couch drops to soothe my throat. Google to the rescue!!
The Internet proceeded to find me a wonderful natural cough drop recipe to make at home from the website Thank Your Body. This was my first time visiting this website and I loved all it’s recipes and tips for all-natural alternatives to everything imaginable (food, hair stuff, skin stuff, etc). I’m really glad I found this site and will no doubt be visiting it again soon.
Since this was my first time making cough drops, I didn’t make any changes to the original recipe at all. Next time I make them (which may be soon, like in a couple of days), I might add some orange juice or black cherry juice concentrate, in addition to the fresh lemon juice.
I was also thinking of stirring into the mixture, after it’s fully cooked, some lemon or orange zest and more of the fresh grated ginger. We’ll see how those changes go and I’ll update this recipe if it’s a success.
The mixture boiling and foaming up the sides of the pan. Remove from heat briefly to allow foam to subside, then place back on heat to boil again while stirring. Repeat until temperature of mixture reaches 300F degrees.
I used a regular teaspoon to drop circles of the mixture onto a silicon baking mat and set it aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
Pretty little jewels of honey drops. They look like they have flecks of gold in them! I didn’t want to dust them with the powdered sugar because they are so pretty.
Make these Honey Lemon Ginger Cough Drops instead of buying pre-made ones. Check out the original recipe and additional information on how to make your own natural products at the website Thank Your Body!
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- powdered sugar, cornstarch, or arrowroot powder for coating drops
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized, deep saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium-low heat, stirring often to prevent burning. Mixture will foam up the sides of pan, so take pan off heat briefly to allow foam to subside, then place pan back on heat to continue cooking. May have to turn heat down to low to prevent honey from burning.
- Use candy thermometer and once mixture heats to 300F degrees, remove from heat and allow to cool for a couple for minutes until thickens slightly. Pour mixture into small candy molds or drop by teaspoons onto parchment paper or a silicon mat (which is what I used). Allow to cool until drops are hard and firm.
- Once drops are fully cooled, dust with powdered sugar, cornstarch, or arrowroot powder to prevent drops from sticking together. Store in a covered container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- **Original recipe by Erica Hale at www.thankyourbody.com**