Pistachio and Fig Sesame Biscotti is a modern spin on the classic Italian twice-baked cookie that’s flavored with sesame paste, a hint of cardamon, crunchy pistachios, chewy dried figs, and coated in white chocolate.
I’m on a little sesame baking kick at the moment….
Although I normally use sesame paste in savory dishes, I’ve been experimenting using it in sweet ones too and the flavor is amazing.
As luck would have it, I just happened to get my hands on some delicious flavored sesame spread and, since it’s the holiday season, what better way to cure my sesame craving than with some fancy Christmas cookies!
This Pistachio and Fig Sesame Biscotti recipe is my entry in The Simply Sesame Blogger Recipe Challenge Contest. Simply Sesame is a creamy all natural, non GMO, vegan spread made with sesame seeds. It comes in 4 different flavors (one is sugar free) and is perfect for people who have nut allergies. I choose the Pistachio Morsels with a hint of Cardamon to develop a cookie recipe…
..and when I say cookie recipe I really mean a delicious Italian twice-baked cookie recipe. Yup, Biscotti! Biscotti are my favorite type of cookie and, if you follow my blog on a regular basis, you know how much I love them..as evidenced here, here, and here.
Confession time: this pistachio and fig sesame one may be my favorite recipe yet!
It has the subtle yet distinctive taste of sesame and cardamon along with just the right amount of crunch from the pistachios. The most unexpected part is that the chewy dried fig comes through and the biscotti tastes just like a fig newton! A refined, elevated, sophisticated and awesome Fig Newton.
Love them so much, I’ve been eating the leftovers every morning with coffee. By the way, if you call a cookie “biscotti” it’s totally OK to eat them for breakfast. For reals.
These are the dried figs I buy and they are the best to snack on or use in recipes. Ask for them at local health food grocery stores or look for them online.
So add this festive Pistachio and Fig Sesame Biscotti to your Christmas cookie platter or make it any time the cookie craving hits. Also, click here to check out Simply Sesame’s products and feel free to visit them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Until we meet again next week, hoping everyone has a most wonderful Christmas holiday with family and friends. Eat, drink, and be merry! 🎄🎅 🎁
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Simply Sesame Pistachio Morsels with a Hint of Cardamon
- ½ cup dried organic figs, chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then mix in the Simply Sesame spread, dried figs, sugar, and vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix together well, until a dough is formed and is slightly stiff but still soft.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into three equal pieces. Form each dough piece into a small rectangular loaf. Place loaves on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 300F degrees. Remove slightly cooled biscotti loaves from the pan and cut into ½-3/4" slices on the diagonal with a sharp knife. Place the slices back on the baking sheet and bake for additional 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven then transfer biscotti to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Coat half of each piece of cooled biscotti with the melted white chocolate and place back on the wire rack to dry. Store leftovers in a covered container for 4-6 weeks.
More recipes to try!