This easy and healthy Beef and Chorizo Chili is made with four different kinds of beans and homemade chorizo. It’s a comforting and hardy one-pot dish that is sure to become a family favorite. Recipe for fresh chorizo is included!
A homemade fresh chorizo recipe for the beef and chorizo chili!
It’s almost too much to handle but I’m going to try by making this beef and chorizo chili featuring some of my homemade fresh Mexican chorizo. The chorizo is so easy to put together and adds an extra level of flavor to the chili. It’s also pretty darn good in chorizo tacos too!
Speaking of easy, there’s nothing more simple and satisfying than cooking up a big ol’ pot of chili. Basically, it consists of browning some meat, then throwing a bunch of veggies, seasonings, and broth in the pot, and finally simmering it for just about 30 minutes or so.
Chili is one of the best one pot recipes around
One pot meals are my favorite recipes to cook. It’s so simple to make everything in the same pot and cleanup is a breeze. I made this beef and chorizo chili with four different kinds of beans. I couldn’t decide which of my favorite beans to use, so I just used them all! If you prefer one kind of bean over the next, feel free to use more of it and less of another kind.
Chili is the perfect party food to feed a large crowd and can be made a day or two ahead of time. Plus, there’s always enough leftovers to eat for lunch through the week or freeze them for later. #winwin
This chorizo chili is fantastic on it’s own or topped with lots of accompaniments. Shredded sharp cheese, diced avocados, and lots of fresh pico de gallo are my go-to toppings.
Meat chili vs meatless chili
This chili is definitely a meat lover’s chili. If vegetarian chili is more your thing, check out my recipe for a vegetarian chili frito pie. It’s from the cookbook, Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day and is quick, delicious, and 100% veggie!
Hope you give this Beef and Chorizo Chili recipe a try and please let me know in the comments below how you liked it. PIN it for later too!
Homemade Beef and Chorizo Chili
- 1 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 whole fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth, homemade or store bought
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (15.5 ounce) can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can of small red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional accompaniments: pico de gallo,
- freshly shredded cheese, diced avocados, pico de gallo, sour cream, tortilla chips, crackers, fresh chopped cilantro, minced jalapenos
- Place a large dutch oven over medium high heat and brown the ground beef and chorizo.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic to the and cook for about 5 minutes, until just cooked through. Add all of the remaining ingredients, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chili has thicken and all flavors are combined, about 30-35 minutes.
- Serve with any of the optional accompaniments (and extra pico de gallo)
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Store leftovers in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 4 months.