This easy and healthy Beet Salad with Goat Cheese, Apricots, and Pistachios is perfect as a salad course or as a vegetarian side dish. Leftovers are wonderful for lunch too!
I love beets. I love them any way I can get them. Raw, cooked, roasted, grilled, fried, poached, steamed, marinated, pickled, savory, sweet, as patties, as soup, with meat, without meat…literally any way possible, but my favorite is in a delicious salad.
I have friends who greatly dislike beets, like flat out refuse to eat them. Pretty sure they’ve never had a great beet salad with goat cheese. I’ll make quite the bold statement by saying that this beet Salad with goat cheese, apricots, and pistachios salad can convert even the most hardcore beet hater.
I’ve heard that weight loss is 75 percent diet and 25 percent exercise so I’m also trying to eat healthier. That is not an easy task for someone who loves all kinds of food and finds it so damn difficult to say “no” to yummy eats. And then I do things like make this Blueberry Granola Soda Bread or this Spanish Pan Pizza, neither of which are diet food.
Calling beets to the rescue!!! This salad is perfectly hearty enough for lunch and is chock-full of yummy dried apricots, roasted pistachios, and topped with a herb goat cheese.
Leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator for several days and it’s a great convenience to have them as a quick weekday lunch…plus it keeps my tater chips cravings at bay.
Originally, I was thinking a honey balsamic vinaigrette would pair nicely with these flavors, but my beets were really sweet on their own, so I left it simple. Feel free to add honey or even Dijon mustard to the dressing to give it some sass, if it’s needed.
Embrace healthy eating with this Beet Salad with Goat Cheese, Apricots, and Pistachios for lunch or dinner as a side or main entrée.
Beet Salad with Goat Cheese, Apricots, and Pistachios
- 4 medium organic golden and/or red beets
- 3-4 ounces herb goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted pistachio pieces (I used Trader Joe's dry roasted & unsalted)
- 3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F/176C degrees.
- Scrub beets well, dry, and coat with a little olive oil. Place beets in an ovenproof pan, cover with foil, and roast for 40-45 minutes, or until knife tender.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, remove the skin, and cut into slices. Place beets on a serving platter, sprinkle with goat cheese, chopped apricots, and pistachios.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and balsamic vinegar and mix well. Drizzle over beets. Serve immediately.