Looking for the Best Deviled Eggs recipe? These creamy, slightly spicy deviled eggs are a unique alternative to the classic egg dish and are sure to be everyone's favorite! Ideal to serve at a potluck, BBQ, picnic, holiday party, or any type of gathering.
What makes the Best Deviled Eggs?
I'm usually not one to say I make THE BEST of anything, especially not when it concerns eggs (except Cuban food...I make damn good Cuban and I'll own that all day long). So imagine my surprise, after testing out this recipe to family and friends, they looked at me and said, "This is the best deviled eggs recipe ever!"
Right then and there, I knew that had to be my post title. Although I dropped the "ever" because didn't want to look like I'm bragging. LOL!
All kidding aside, Easter is right around the corner and everyone is already asking me recipes for leftover hard boiled eggs. Two of my favorite recipes are these Paleo pickled eggs and this Seven Layer Salad.
I make the salad every year for Easter dinner because it's a family request (because it's soooo good!). Of course, I always save a few to make classic deviled eggs, but this year I decided to do something a little different.
Add this for the best deviled eggs
Substituting finely minced homemade roasted red bell peppers for the relish and cumin for the mustard kicked the flavor up a notch, but the filling needed more punch.
After searching through my pantry, I found a bottle of Organic Harissa Seasoning in the back. It was at that moment, I knew I had found the flavor KA-POW to amp up the roasted red bell pepper egg mixture.
What is harissa?
Harissa is a paste made up of red peppers, garlic, coriander, other spices/herbs, and oil. It's typically used as a condiment in many North African dishes.
The dried harissa spice mix I used gave these eggs a slightly spicy, slightly smoky favor. The taste was unique, yet not too unusual.
Also, did you know you can do hard boiled eggs in the oven?!? I found this out the other day and thought it was the weirdest thing I've ever heard!
Haven't tested it out yet, but thinking of trying it when I make these eggs again for Easter.
PIN it for later and please let me know in the comments below what you think about the Best Deviled Eggs recipe.
Best Deviled Eggs
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons roasted red bell peppers , finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Harissa seasoning (can be in a dried or paste form)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper , to taste
- paprika, for garnish and sprinkling on the top
- Place eggs in a medium pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil at medium heat. Once the eggs boil, place a lid on the pot and remove from heat. Let the eggs sit in the water for at least 10 minutes. (Test an egg by removing it from the water and rolling it on the counter. If the egg rolls in a straight line, it's cooked!)
Drain the water and cover the eggs with cold water. Allow to cool, then drain the water again, and peel the eggs.
- Take each peeled egg and cut in half lengthwise. Carefully remove the egg yolks from the whites; place the yolks in a small bowl and the whites on a platter.
Break up the egg yolks with a fork, then add all the ingredients except the paprika. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Fill each egg white half with an equal amount of the yolk mixture and sprinkle each on top with the paprika. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to use.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Can add more mayonnaise if needed for a creamier deviled egg mixture
- To store leftovers: place eggs in a covered container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days