This Blueberry Sunrise Margarita is a refreshing take on the classic Tequila Sunrise. Made with fresh wild blueberries, tequila, orange juice, orange liqueur, and lime juice, this drink is sure to become a favorite.
Happy Thirsty Thursday, friends! In preparation for Cinco de Mayo tomorrow, me and a bunch of bloggers are celebrating and bringing Margarita Week to you all! It’s a whole week’s worth of margarita recipes to choose from for your weekend fiesta. Party on y’all ?✌️
How to make a Blueberry Sunrise Margarita
This margarita is my take on the classic Tequila Sunrise drink. You know, the one that is yellow (from OJ) and orangeish-red (from grenadine) and looks like the sky when the sun is rising. Mine has blueberries in it instead of the grenadine so, once the drink is mixed up, it looks more like a blueish-pinky-purple sunset than a sunrise, but whatever. Drink a few of these Blueberry Sunrise Margaritas and it will look any color you want it to be.
I used blueberries for this margarita because I live in New England and blueberries are a big thang up here. Wild blueberries are all over the place (literally, just growing rampant in people’s backyards) so this is my little homage to nature’s most potent antioxidant.
Speaking of antioxidants, this margarita could be considered a health drink because of the blueberries, OJ, and fresh lime juice. Now, I’m not a licensed Doctor but I like to play one on this blog, so take this 411 and run with it.
Like really run with it…down the street…to your neighbors and let them know that they too can partake in the many health benefits of this Blueberry Sunrise Margarita. Breakfast will never be the same…or the neighborhood because now you’ll have a bunch of drunkards for neighbors. #dontblameme
I coated the rim of my glasses with this Stirrings Lemon Drop Martini Rimmer. Not only was the yellow rim pretty on the glass and against the pinkish-blue color of the drink, but the taste matched perfectly with the margarita’s flavors.
Enjoy this Blueberry Sunrise Margarita and Cinco de Mayo tomorrow. Also, please check out all the other yummy drinks for Margarita Week and a huge “THANKS” to Kate from Hola Jalapeno for organizing this tequila fest ?
- ½ cup fresh wild blueberries (can use frozen)
- 1 tablespoon organic blue agave sweetener
- 4 ounces Tequila
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 ounce orange liqueur, like Grand Marnier
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- fresh lime slices for garnish
- sugar to coat rim of glass
- In a small saucepan, cook blueberries and agave over medium-high heat over 3-5 minutes, stirring and mashing the blueberries with a spoon to break them up. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a small pitcher, combine the tequila, orange juice, orange liqueur, and lime juice. Set aside.
- Place some sugar on shallow bowl or plate, wet the rim of two glasses with a lime slice and dip into the sugar so it coats the rim on all sides. Divide the cooled blueberry mixture among the two glasses, then add the desired amount of ice to each glass. Carefully pour the prepared margarita mixture evenly into the two prepared glasses and stir to mix together the flavors. CHEERS!