Braised Beef Short Ribs are slow cooked in red wine, beef stock, and a rich tomato sauce that’s perfect over mashed potatoes, risotto, rice, or noodles. Full of tender, fall off the bone, meaty goodness!
This braised beef short rib recipe is one of my all-time favorite comfort food dishes. There is nothing more comforting to me than a meal of red wine braised short ribs served over mashed potatoes. So rich and flavorful!
Braised beef short ribs for the perfect date night at home
Slow cooked beef short ribs are super easy to make, yet exceptionally impressive. It’s a great romantic date night at home kind of meal too. Every time I cook this for J, I set the table with candles and flowers so we feel like we are dining at a fancy Boston restaurant.
Use grass fed beef for the best flavor
Just take a look at these grass fed short rib beauties I bought at a local holistic organic farm. Cooking with farm-to-table ingredients and buying from farms who honesty care about their animals, the land, and providing healthy food for the community is so rewarding. Find local farms close to you at Eat Wild and get some good grass fed beef ribs for this dish.
Easiest slow cooked beef rib recipe with minimum preparation
Beef ribs are seared and browned over high heat in a big pot, then add fresh garlic and onion, red wine, beef stock, and a little tomato paste. Cover and bake for up to 3 hours (for bone-in). SO EASY!!!
It’s all transformed into a glorious sauce that is perfection poured over mashed potatoes, polenta, noodles, or even cauliflower mash, sweet potato mash, or roasted winter squash. The sauce will thicken on it’s own, so there’s really no need to use flour to thicken, just uncover the pot and serve.
Did you enjoy these Braised Beef Short Ribs? Leave me a comment below and please don’t forget to share it with family and friends.
Beef short ribs are slow cooked in red wine, hearty beef broth and a rich tomato paste that's perfect over mashed potatoes, risotto, rice, or noodles! Full of tender, fall off the bone, beefy goodness.
- 3 1/2 pounds meaty short ribs , bone-in (preferably local farm raised and grass-fed), at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion about 1 medium
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup good quality red wine
- 2 cups good quality beef stock homemade or store bought
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 oz mushrooms , cleaned and quartered (optional)
- fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley , chopped (optional)
Take the beef short ribs out of refrigerator and let come to room temperature before cooking (about 1/2-1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Heat a large dutch oven over high heat. Add tablespoon of olive oil and sear short ribs on all sides until brown, adding additional olive oil as needed. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced by half. Add beef stock, tomato paste, and thyme. Stir well and bring to a boil.
Return short ribs to pan, cover, and place in the preheated oven. Braise for 2 1/2-3 hours, or until beef is fork tender.
If using mushrooms, add them to the pot with the short ribs the last 30-45 minutes of cooking time.
- Place cooked ribs on serving dish. Skim excess fat off top of the cooking liquid and reduce over high heat to thicken into a sauce, if necessary. Spoon sauce over short ribs and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Leftovers are even better the next day so make a double batch!