This deliciously creamy and Easy Butternut Squash Soup is made with farm-to-table veggies and a smoky chipotle sauce. Make ahead of time and freeze for up to 3 months!
Chipotle Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Time to make the soup! Butternut squash is one of the best winter veggies around and I love making it into a soup. This chipotle butternut squash soup recipe is super easy to make, can be made ahead of time, and there's always lunch leftovers for the next day. Wooohooo!
I usually make a curry and ginger version of this soup but one day I left those out and put in some chipotle peppers instead. The smoky/slightly spicy flavors against the sweetness of the squash and carrots were delicious.
This time I used canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, but I've used Tabasco Chipotle sauce before and it's a great substitute, maybe just a touch milder in spiciness.
These carrots came from a local organic farm so no need to peel them. I always leave carrots unpeeled if they come from a reliable organic source and I just scrub the outside really well with a soft vegetable brush.
Roasting butternut squash
Normally when I make this soup, I peel the raw squash, cut it in half, and scoop out the seeds. Then, I cut the raw squash into 2-inch cubes and roast the cubes. Well, today I bought a huge 5 pound squash and, since I really like having all my fingers intact, there was no way I was cutting into this monster of a veggie raw. Y'all know how hard it is to cut into a winter squash!
Since this squash was so large, I roasted the squash whole in the oven. Once it was done roasting, I cut it in half, removed the seeds and pulp, then finished cooking it in the broth.
Top the soup with homemade roasted pumpkin seeds
This soup is so good topped with roasted pumpkin seeds. Make them at home by putting some raw (green hulled) pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet and roast for about 4-5 minutes in a 400F degree oven. You'll hear them popping so just keep an eye on them so they don't burn. And that's it! Simple and easy. No need to season them unless you want to.
To make seasoned ones, toss the raw pumpkin seeds with a little oil and whatever seasonings you prefer and then roast for 5 minutes.
Pictures above of raw green pumpkin seeds (on the left) and roasted (on the right). See how they plump up when they are roasted?
Enjoy this chipotle easy butternut squash soup recipe and please leave a comment below to let me know! Don't forget to serve some garlic cheddar angel biscuits with it too.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup
- 5 pound butternut squash (about 10 cups cubed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 medium carrots , diced
- 6 cups chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce , finely mince the peppers or just use the sauce (can substitute Tabasco chipotle sauce)
Optional accompaniments: top with sour cream (or plain yogurt), roasted pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro, and/or chipotle sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F/176C degrees. Wash outside of squash, pierce with knife in 3-4 places, place on baking sheet and roast whole for about 90 minutes, or until knife easily slides in. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- After squash has cooled enough to handle, cut down the middle, carefully scoop out seeds, then scoop out all the pulp. At this point, the squash pulp can be tightly covered in a container and placed in the refrigerator for a few hours or days, until you are ready to use it.
- Put olive oil in large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat. Sauté 1 medium diced onion and 2 medium diced carrots until slightly brown.
- Stir in cooked butternut squash pulp, 6 cups broth and 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce (can add more than 1 tablespoon if want soup spicier). Heat the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top with optional accompaniments: sour cream (or plain yogurt), roasted pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro, and/or chipotle sauce
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for a day before using.
- Blend the soup again before heating to get a smoother consistently, if needed.
- How to roast pumpkin seeds for the soup:
- Place raw (green hulled) pumpkin seeds on an ungreased baking sheet and roast for about 4-5 minutes in a preheated 400F/204C degree oven.