A make-ahead recipe for a Southern classic Easy 7 Layer Salad that’s perfect for large gatherings. Delicious layers of lettuce, sweet onion, green peas, hard boiled eggs are topped with a homemade dressing, cheddar cheese, and crispy bacon!
7 layer salad as an easy side dish
Need a delicious salad/side dish for a BBQ or cookout this coming weekend? Try this easy (and my family’s favorite) 7 layer salad recipe!
You can’t beat a good seven layer salad recipe. Recently, I made it to celebrate the end of my sugar detox.
After all, it looks healthy with all the multiple layers of fresh, raw veggies. Except it’s all slathered in a dressing made of white sugar and mayonnaise.
Yes, I just said white sugar and mayonnaise. Two ingredients that should never be mixed together in the same bowl and poured over perfectly fine, completely edible, raw vegetables.
The truth lies within the flavor of the creamy sweet mayonnaise dressing. It pairs perfectly with the crispness of the iceberg lettuce and the starchy pop of the green peas.
Additionally, the crunch of the raw onions with the tasty toppings of salty bacon and sharp cheddar cheese is a combo made in heaven.
Easy salad recipe to feed a crowd
A easy 7 layer salad recipe is excellent at feeding a lot of people and can easily be made ahead of time.
Make it the day before and store, covered, in the refrigerator.
Don’t worry about it getting soggy, because the dressing layer will keep everything underneath it fresh and crisp.
Many times I’ve made one for a barbecue party (along with my Mexican Street Corn Potato Salad).
And I always make one for Easter dinner each year. The pretty layers make for an impressive looking addition to a buffet table when it’s made in a glass dish or trifle bowl
One of the things I love about a seven layer salad recipe is it’s versatility.
The ingredients can vary depending on what veggies are in season or just use your favorites.
There must be four layers that are, what I consider, the salad’s classic ingredients: lettuce, peas, hard-boiled eggs, and the sugar-mayo dressing.
The other three can be personalized to your liking.
My seven layers are (and in order):
- sweet Vidalia onion
- frozen green peas (no need to thaw first)
- hard boiled eggs
- shredded white sharp cheddar cheese
- lots of crumbled crispy cooked bacon
So when you need an easy side dish recipe, make this Easy 7 Layer Salad for holiday cookouts, barbecues, or any other special occasion. Enjoy and please let me know in the comments below what salad layers you used!
Easy 7 Layer Salad
- 2 cups mayonnaise (homemade or a good quailty store bought)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 large head of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium Vidalia or red onion, diced
- 12 ounces frozen peas, (keep frozen and do not thaw)
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and sugar to make the dressing. Set aside.
- Using a 9×13 glass baking dish or trifle bowl, layer the salad in the following order: lettuce, onion, frozen peas, and sliced eggs. Completely cover top of salad with the dressing. Sprinkle top with the cheese and bacon. Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for at least 8 hours, or overnight.