Easy Fish Tacos are made with wild haddock fillets, marinated in various spices and baked until flaky. Wrapped up in a fresh corn tortilla and topped with a homemade spicy cabbage slaw, these healthy tacos are perfect for a weeknight dinner!
A healthy fish recipe for the best homemade tacos!
I've got a great Thanksgiving recipe for you today...
JUST KIDDING!!! It's Taco Tuesday (and Election Day 2016) and I'm sharing this healthy easy fish tacos recipe that's perfect for tonight's dinner!
Love a good taco meme! So, I wanted to give a different kind of take on a Thanksgiving recipe this week. We've still got a couple of weeks before the big day so what's the rush?
Soon enough it will be all turkey, stuffing, and giblets so let's take a more unusual approach today.
Easy Family Dinner
Fish tacos may not seem very Thanksgiving-like; however, I beg to differ. The menu at the first Thanksgiving undoubtedly featured some type of fish and I know maize had a strong presence that day.
Put them together and you're more than half way to fish tacos!
OK, it might be a bit of a stretch (or a BIG stretch). They probably didn't have a whole bunch of fresh limes laying around or sour cream, but I'm going with it.
You know why? Because there's nothing I like better than homemade tacos and easy Mexican recipes!
There's another major similarity between my easy fish tacos recipe and the first Thanksgiving. That first feast was all about whatever food was fresh and in-season at the time.
The settlers and Native Americans did this out of necessity and, even though modern conveniences have given us a wide variety of food choices no matter the time of year, we should learn from our fresh food forefathers.
Choose locally-grown foods and fresh, as well as sustainable fish, whenever possible.
Use the freshest veggies for the fish taco slaw
I'm lucky because right now my local markets have an abundance of gorgeous wild haddock fillets. Plus, my organic CSA farm veggie share is overflowing with fresh green cabbage, carrots, jalapeños, and cilantro.
What's a girl to do except make a healthy fish taco recipe? OK, there might have been a couple of other choices, but I'm always down for tacos!
What to serve with tacos?
- Mexican Street Corn Potato Salad
- Easy Spicy Espinaca Dip
- Mexican Roasted Broccoli
- Healthy Black Bean Salsa
Easy Fish Tacos are a perfect choice for a seafood recipe dinner tonight or any weekday or weekend night. Also, learn how to make pico de gallo, the perfect topping for all tacos!
Easy Fish Tacos
FOR THE FISH MARINADE:
- 1 ½ pounds of fresh haddock fish fillets , or substitute another firm white fish
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- the zest and juice from 1 whole fresh lime
- 12 fresh corn tortillas
FOR THE SPICY SLAW:
- ½ head of a small organic green cabbage , shredded
- 1 large organic carrot , shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh or pickled jalapeños , chopped
- ½ cup fresh organic cilantro , chopped (use ¼ cup for less cilantro flavor)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Additional taco accompaniments: chopped onion, sliced avocado, lime wedges, and
FOR THE FISH MARINADE:
- Place the haddock fish fillets in a shallow baking dish and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, salt, oil, and the zest and juice from a lime. Pour over the fish fillets, making sure the fish is covered with the marinade.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour. If no time to marinate for an hour, let sit for at least 5 minutes before cooking.
FOR THE SPICY SLAW:
- In a large bowl, combine all slaw ingredients (cabbage to lime juice) and mix well. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- When ready to bake the fish, preheat oven to 375F degrees. Place marinated fish fillets on a silicone mat or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- To serve, place desired amount of fish inside a fresh corn tortilla, top with the slaw and additional accompaniments. Enjoy by eating immediately!