Easy Indian Creamed Spinach is a deliciously simple variation of the traditional Saag dish. Made with fresh tender baby spinach, this dish can be on the table in 20 minutes.
I briefly confessed my love of and addiction to Indian food in last week’s post so it’s not all that surprising that my next post would be an Indian one. Easy Indian Creamed Spinach is my go-to recipe when I want to make Indian food at home and I’m craving Saag paneer.
I love to be in the kitchen cooking food most every day, but I’ll readily admit that sometimes I get kind of lazy. When I make Indian food, I’ll think nothing of spending all day making all the curries from scratch, the tandoori marinade, and all the condiments but I’ll be darned if I spend too long on making my favorite Saag paneer.
How to make easy Indian creamed spinach
I’m so lazy, I can’t even bother with the paneer in Saag paneer! Really, I like to keep this dish simple, easy, and fast by using fresh baby spinach (stems and all) with dried garlic and onion powders. About 20 minutes later, you’ve got some yummy Saag to put on the table.
Since J and I are trying to eat more vegetarian meals, Indian is a perfect starting point for a 100% veggie meal. It’s spicy and highly flavorful, so the meat isn’t missed at all, especially when there’s lots of Hot Mango Pickle and flaky puri bread on the plate.
This creamy comfort food dish is made with the traditional Indian spices of garam masala and turmeric. I also like to add a decent amount of heavy cream at the end to make it richer and to level out the boldness of the spices.
Out of all the Indian spices, the versatile turmeric is a definite favorite of mine. Not only does it add a beautiful color to dishes, but it can be used in a variety of different ways with numerous health benefits.
I love using it to season roasted pumpkin seeds, add a flare to my scrambled eggs, and to make a Turmeric and Lemon “Tea” in the morning to rev up my digestive system and to give me a little mini detox. It’s also great at reducing inflammation and easing joint pain.
So go get your turmeric benefits on by making this delicious Easy Indian Creamed Spinach and raise a fork to your health!
- 16oz fresh organic baby spinach
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp jalapeno (fresh or pickled), finely minced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- In a large skillet, sauté spinach in ¼ cup water over medium-high heat until wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove cooked spinach from the pan and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan, add the olive oil and reduce heat to medium, then add the tomato, garlic powder, onion powder, garam masala, jalapeño, turmeric, ginger, and salt. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until tomato is soft. Using the back of a wooden spoon, smash the tomato into the bottom of the pan to break it up.
- Once spinach has completely cooled, squeeze out any excess water and run a knife through it to chop it up. Add the chopped spinach back to the pan with the tomato mixture, stir well to combine, and heat through. Reduce heat to low. Add the heavy cream to the mixture, stir well, and cook until mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.