Easy Indian Creamed Spinach is a deliciously simple variation of the traditional Saag dish. Made with fresh tender baby spinach, this dish can be on the table in 20 minutes!
Easy Indian Creamed Spinach is my go-to recipe when I want to make Indian food at home and I’m craving Saag paneer. I briefly confessed my love of and addiction to Indian food in last week’s post, so it’s not all that surprising that my next post would be an Indian one. It’s also a very complementary vegetarian side for my tandoori chicken too!
How to Make Creamed Spinach
I like to keep this dish simple, easy, and fast. By using fresh baby spinach (stems and all) with dried garlic and onion powders, this dish can be on the table in 20 minutes.
Frozen spinach can be used instead of fresh in this easy side dish. A can of diced tomatoes with green chilies can be substituted for the fresh tomato and jalapenos too!
I’m trying to eat more vegetarian meals and Indian cuisine is perfect for a 100% veggie meal. It’s spicy and highly flavorful, so the meat isn’t missed at all. Especially when there’s lots of Hot Mango Pickle and flaky puri bread on the plate.
Ultimate comfort food made with healthy turmeric
This creamy comfort food dish is made with the traditional Indian spices of garam masala and turmeric. I also like to add a decent amount of heavy cream at the end. It makes the dish richer and levels out the boldness of the spices.
Out of all the Indian spices, the versatile turmeric is a definite favorite of mine. Not only does it add a beautiful color to dishes, but it can be used in a variety of different ways with numerous health benefits.
I love using it to season roasted pumpkin seeds or to scrambled eggs. Turmeric and Lemon “Tea” in the morning is great for jump-start my digestive system and to give me a little mini detox too.
Enjoy the benefits of turmeric by making this delicious vegetarian recipe of Easy Indian Creamed Spinach! Please let me know in the comments below how you enjoyed this recipe too.
Easy Indian Creamed Spinach
- 16 ounces fresh organic baby spinach (or can substitute a thawed 10 ounce package of frozen chopped spinach)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium tomato , diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno , finely minced (fresh or pickled)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (To make vegan: substitute full fat coconut milk for heavy cream)
- In a large skillet, sauté spinach in ¼ cup water over medium-high heat until wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove cooked spinach from the pan and set aside to cool. **Skip this pre-cooking step if using frozen spinach**
- In the same pan, add the olive oil and reduce heat to medium, then add the tomato, garlic powder, onion powder, garam masala, jalapeño, turmeric, ginger, and salt. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until tomato is soft. Using the back of a wooden spoon, smash the tomato into the bottom of the pan to break it up.
- Once the pre-cooked spinach has completely cooled, squeeze out any excess water and run a knife through it to chop it up. (If using frozen chopped spinach, thaw it and squeeze all the water out of it).
- Add the chopped spinach to the pan with the spiced tomato mixture, stir well to combine, and heat through. Reduce heat to low.
- Add the heavy cream to the spinach mixture and stir well. Simmer over low heat until mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.