This recipe for Easy Jerk Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Salsa is simple, healthy, delicious, and fast. Made in less than 30 minutes for a fast weekday or weekend dinner. Homemade dry seasoning mix recipe is included!
I love everything about Jamaica. I love it’s soft sand beaches, crystal clear aqua blue water, wonderfully happy people (with their laid-back attitude) and it’s delectable cuisine.
J and I had our wedding there and we stayed after for two glorious weeks sunning, swimming, snorkeling, hiking and eating a lot of jerk. Like, a lot of jerk. Every single day we ate jerk pork and/or chicken. No kidding.
Sometimes we even ate two times a day (lunch and an another mid-afternoon meal) at the resort’s “jerk shack”. It was a little ridiculous how much of it we consumed and we were seriously addicted by the time we left the island.
Once home, I was all about perfecting a traditional jerk recipe…but this post isn’t about that recipe. This post is about an easy jerk recipe, one that uses a dry seasoning instead of the traditional wet marinade.
The seasoning mix is great to make up ahead of time and store in the pantry for when it’s time for some quick jerk. FYI, there isn’t any sugar in this seasoning because I like to keep it more on the spicy side, but if sweet is your thing then please feel free to add a little brown sugar to the mix if you wish (about 1/2 tsp should do the trick).
Easy Jerk Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
This grilled pineapple salsa is healthy and so versatile. It can be served over grilled pork, shrimp, fish, and veggies. The next day, I ate it with some raw tuna and it was fantastic!
Try substituting it for the traditional tomato based Mexican salsa with tortilla chips for something different. Bet it would be great combined with black beans for a yummy side too!
Make this Easy Jerk Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Salsa next time you need an easy, healthy, and quick lunch or dinner on the table.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- FOR THE DRY JERK SEASONING:
- 1 Tb garlic powder
- 1 Tb onion powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp crushed hot pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- FOR THE PINEAPPLE SALSA:
- 5 fresh pineapple rings, 1 inch thick
- 2 large fresh jalapeños, cut in half and seeds removed
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice from ½ fresh lime
- salt to taste
- olive oil to brush chicken before grilling
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the dry jerk seasoning and mix well. Place the chicken breasts in a shallow dish and rub them thoroughly with the jerk seasoning, cover and let sit in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- FOR THE PINEAPPLE SALSA:
- Grill the fresh pineapple rings and jalapeño halves for 2-3 minutes each side, or until tender.
- Chop grilled pineapple and jalapeños into small pieces and place in a medium bowl. Add the chopped cilantro and lime juice, stir well. Add salt to taste, if desired. Set aside.
- Remove chicken breasts from the refrigerator and brush lightly with olive oil on both sides. Grill chicken 5-7 minutes on each side, or until inside registers 165F degrees.
- Cut each chicken breasts into slices and top generously with the pineapple salsa.