Easy Homemade Pico de gallo is made with the summer's freshest vegetables of tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, and cilantro, with a touch of fresh lime juice. Perfect with all Mexican dishes or whenever you need a fresh tomato salsa!
An Easy Homemade Pico de Gallo Recipe
Don't know what to do with all those summer tomatoes? Make this easy pico de gallo salsa!
Excellent paired with Mexican food, but it also goes with everything else.
Serve it with grilled steak, pork, or chicken, on potatoes, eggs, and seafood.
Use it as a fresh tomato salsa with chips and to mashed avocados for a quick homemade guacamole.
It's also the most perfect topping ever for my Vegetarian Frito Chili Pie.
How to make pico de gallo
Since it's raw, you want to use the freshest in-season ingredients possible for the salsa's best flavor.
- Fresh Tomatoes - Choose the ripest, juiciest tomatoes you can find. This fresh tomato salsa is ideal to make during the summer months when the gardens and CSA boxes are overflowing.
- Red Onion - Red onion is fantastic in this, but any type of onion can be used. It adds a nice crunch and peppery taste to the pico.
- Cilantro - Use fresh cilantro for a citrusy herb flavor that pairs well with the tomatoes.
- Jalapeños - Fresh or pickled will work! Add as much or as little as you want to adjust the spiciness level.
- Lime Juice - Use fresh juice to bind everything together.
- Fresh Garlic - Adds flavor and a little spicy punch to all the fresh ingredients.
- Ground Cumin - This earthly tasting spice blends so perfectly with the tomatoes and other vegetables.
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper - To taste and to balance out the flavors.
Also, feel free to change up the amount of ingredients however you choose when making this recipe.
It's a very versatile recipe and can be easily adapted to any personal tastes.
Like, make it spicier or more mild with the peppers or add less onion or no onion at all.
Whenever I'm looking through my cherry tomato recipes, this one's always at the top.
In the summer, when I have so many tomatoes, I'll make this recipe at least two times a week.
There's no guilt in making or eating this fresh salsa because it's raw, vegan, and super healthy!
Favorite recipes to top with pico de gallo:
- Vegetarian Chili Frito Pie
- Chicken Fajita Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Easy Fish Tacos
- Beef and Chorizo Chili
- Mexican Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cholula Shredded Beef Tacos
PIN this pico de gallo salsa recipe for the next time you need a healthy, fresh tomato recipe!
Pico de Gallo
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh or pickled jalapeños, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or 1 whole lime)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine all in a small bowl and mix well. Keep leftovers in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.