Pico de gallo salsa is made with the summer’s freshest vegetables of tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, and cilantro, with a touch of lime juice. Perfect with all Mexican dishes or whenever you need a fresh tomato salsa!
Serve it with grilled steak, pork, or chicken, on potatoes, eggs, and seafood. Use it as a fresh tomato salsa with chips and to mashed avocados for a quick homemade guacamole.
It’s also the most perfect topping ever for my Vegetarian Frito Chili Pie.
How to make pico de gallo
This fresh tomato salsa is ideal to make during the summer months when the gardens and CSA boxes are overflowing with fresh tomatoes, onions, peppers, and garlic each week too.
Whenever I’m looking through my cherry tomato recipes, this one’s always at the top. Since it’s raw, you want to use the freshest in-season ingredients possible for the best flavor.
I have so many tomatoes right now that I make this recipe at least two times a week! Feel free to change up the amount of ingredients however you choose.
Make it spicier or more mild, add less onion or no onion at all. It’s a very versatile recipe and can be easily adapted to any personal tastes. It’s also super healthy, raw, and vegan!
Favorite recipes to top with pico de gallo:
- Vegetarian Chili Frito Pie
- Chicken Fajita Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Easy Fish Tacos
- Beef and Chorizo Chili
- Mexican Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cholula Shredded Beef Tacos
PIN this pico de gallo salsa recipe for the next time you need a healthy, fresh tomato recipe!
Pico de Gallo
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh or pickled jalapeños, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or 1 whole lime)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine all in a small bowl and mix well. Keep leftovers in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.