Fresh Ginger and Shallot Green Beans are a simple and healthy side dish, perfect with any meal! Less than 5 ingredients and takes less than 15 minutes to make!
This Fresh Ginger and Shallot Green Beans recipe is a quick and easy side dish that will complement any entrée. I think green beans may be my favorite vegetable because they are so versatile and they go with everything. That’s the reason why I try to buy them every time I go to the grocery store.
There’s always a good potential side dish waiting in the refrig when there are fresh green beans around. Another plus is I can make my Thai chicken panang curry on the fly, which I am totally addicted to and can eat on a weekly basis 🙂
This recipe is extremely easy to put together for a healthy weekday or weekend dinner side dish. Fresh is best but it can also successfully be made with a good quality frozen french green bean (like Trader Joe’s brand). If frozen green beans are used, skip the blanching step and just use them straight out of the freezer. No thawing is necessary!
When using fresh green beans, blanch them so they are slightly precooked before sautéing them quickly in a little butter and olive oil. To blanch, just place the trimmed beans in a pot of boiling water for 3-4 minutes, drain, then plunge them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Once the beans have cooled, drain again and use them in this or any other recipe that calls for blanched beans.
Try these Fresh Ginger and Shallot Green Beans next time you need an easy and quick side dish for dinner!
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
- 1/2 Tb butter unsalted
- 1/2 Tb olive oil
- 1 large shallot cut in half and sliced into thin half rings
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch green beans by putting large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Wash green beans, remove ends and strings. Leave beans whole and add to boiling water. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or when green beans turn bright green . Drain and place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- In large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add green beans and fresh ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until green beans are tender crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!