Enjoy summertime snacking and easy entertaining with these Grilled Watermelon + Jalapeño Jack Cheese Bites. Made with Pepper Jack cheese, fresh jalapeños, and topped with a fresh herb sauce.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Schreiber Foods, Inc. The opinions and text are all mine.
Grilled Watermelon + Jalapeño Jack Cheese Bites are a little spicy and a little sweet with a whole lotta flavor. Almost effortless to throw together at the last minute for summertime snacking or serve them up as an easy appetizer recipe for entertaining family and friends at home. They can also be made hours ahead of time and stored, covered in the refrigerator, until ready to use.
I found the perfect combination of spicy and smooth in the refrigerated block cheese section at my local Big Y store, where I purchased an 8 oz block of Heluva Good! Jalapeño Jack. Y'all know how much I LOVE spicy foods and this Jalapeño Jack has just the right amount of heat mixed into the creamy Monterey Jack cheese.
How to make snacking fun with Grilled Watermelon
Heluva Good! has been making cheese since 1925, so you don't have to worry about quality when it comes to their cheeses. Using quality ingredients is so important when it's a simple recipe, so picking a cheese that's full of flavor for these bites is at the top of the list.
Since I'm a spicy lover, I used the Heluva Good! Jalapeño Jack, but their Extra Sharp Cheddar and Colby Jack varieties would work equally well in this recipe too. For my next cookout food, I'm going to make this with all three cheeses and line them up on different platters, then there's a little something for everyone!
During the summer, I love using the fresh herbs from my garden in almost all my dishes. For this one, I made a quick sauce of cilantro and basil with a little lime, then tossed the grilled watermelon cubes in it before skewering with the Jalapeño Jack. The flavors of spicy cheese, sweet watermelon, and tangy herb sauce make for a pretty perfect bite of a healthy appetizer.
Trying to beat the summer heat? Make this ridiculously easy and deliciously cool Wine Slushy that perfectly pairs with this grilled appetizer.
Enjoy snacking and entertaining all summer long with these delicious Grilled Watermelon + Jalapeño Jack Cheese Bites and let me know below how you like this easy grilling recipe.
Grilled Watermelon + Jalapeño Jack Cheese Bites
- 16 ounces Jalapeño Jack Cheese, cut into ¼" cubes
- 1 small watermelon, cut into 1 ½" slices, rind on
For the herb sauce:
- ⅛ cup fresh basil leaves
- ⅛ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or substitute another neutral oil, like canola, grapeseed, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
extra long toothpicks or skewers
optional garnish: 1 small fresh jalapeño , thinly sliced
- Preheat a grill on high. While waiting, make the herb sauce by combining the basil and cilantro leaves, oil, lime juice, and salt in a mini food processor and blend on high until a smooth mixture forms. Put mixture in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the grill is preheated, grill the watermelon slices for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until softens slightly and grill marks appear. Remove watermelon from the heat and place on a cutting board. Cut the rind off the watermelon and discard. Cut the watermelon into 1" cubes. Place cubes in a large bowl, add the herb mixture, and gently mix until each watermelon cube is lightly coated.
- Assemble by taking one toothpick/skewer, add one grilled watermelon cube and top it with one cube of Jalapeño Jack Cheese. Repeat once more so there are 2 pieces of watermelon and 2 pieces of cheese on each skewer. Top with the thinly sliced jalapeño, if desired. Repeat process with remaining watermelon and cheese cubes.
- Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator until needed.
heather (delicious not gorgeous)
it is still way too hot in california, so these sound like they'd be perfect! juicy watermelon, plenty of herbs and salty cheese, mmmmmmm.
Milena | Craft Beering
Love me some grilled water melon:) Usually I reach for feta, because I'm a creature of habit more often than not. Interested to try these skewers with jalapeno jack and jalapenos! Spicy and water melon go well together for sure. And the herb sauce rocks! Pinned.
Thao @ In Good Flavor
This looks and sounds amazing, Karrie!! Watermelon is my favorite fruit, but I have never had it with a flavor blast like this! I had already gone through one watermelon this week and there is another waiting to be cut up, and it's going to have some cheese, heat, and cilantro-base-lime sauce with it! Pinning.
Katherine | Love In My Oven
This is so creative, I love this! I also love using all the herbs from my garden. Jack cheese is one of my faves. Hooray for summer recipes like this!!
Dawn - Girl Heart Food
You know I'm a spicy lover too so I can pretty much every single serving of this. I bet it tastes wicked paired with the watermelon! You're really getting your grill on this summer, girl! Gotta love it! xoxo
Oh my gosh! These look amazing. You are brilliant! Just brilliant!
Ben | Havocinthekitchen
What? Grilled watermelon? I've never tried it. Indeed this makes sense. Grilling (and i guess, caramelizing) helps to bring in all the flavors and sweetness. I do love the combo of watermelon and cheese, especially feta and cheddar so this fancy appetizer looks and sounds right to me. I mean, I'm sold - you can ship, Karrie:)