This raw Greek Inspired Kohlrabi Slaw makes a healthy dish dish to any main meal! Shredded Kohlrabi is tossed with feta cheese and kalamata olives in a red wine vinaigrette.
A healthy raw Kohlrabi slaw
This healthy Greek inspired Kohlrabi slaw recipe came about because I had a major side dish dilemma last night. I was doing a Greek themed meal and realized I didn't have enough lettuce to do the Greek salad I had planned. So I went back into the frig and pulled out the two organic kohlrabi outta my CSA box from last week.
What is kohlrabi?
Kohlrabi is known as the Cabbage Turnip. It has a round, knobby bulb with big leaves sticking out all over the place and can be eaten raw or cooked. The texture reminds me of a radish a it has a mild, sweetish taste to it. Plus the leaves are similar to kale, so you can eat them too. Bonus points in the nutritional round!!
Weird looking, right?
So this little alien looking veggie began to inspire me. We've eaten it raw before so why not use it as a substitute for lettuce in a Greek salad? I shredded it up, added some chopped up kalamata olives and crumbled feta, then tossed it in my usual Greek salad dressing. It was pretty darn good. J really liked it and told me to put it on the blog. So here it is!
P.S. You can turn this post into a drinking game by the number of times I said "Greek".
P.P.S. J thinks a diced tomato would be good in this so if you've got one, try it.
Here's a quick tip: kohlrabi has a high moisture content so it will release liquid. I usually add salt to shredded kohlrabi, wait 15 minutes or so, and then squeeze dry. I didn't do that this time because was afraid it would be too salty with the feta. After mixing the salad together, just drain off any liquid that accumulates. That's what I did last night and it didn't affect the flavor at all.
Greek Inspired Kohlrabi Slaw
- 2 medium kohlrabi
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the tough outer layer of the kohlrabi and grate using a cheese grater. Place shredded kohlrabi in a large bowl; stir in olives and feta cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, garlic, oregano and pepper. Pour dressing over the kohlrabi mixture and mix well.
- Add salt to taste and serve immediately.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Store leftover slaw in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days