Got leftover holiday ham? Make this fluffy, creamy, cheesy Healthy Ham and Broccoli Egg Bake and enjoy it for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner!
**This post was originally published April 2015, but I’m resharing because 1) it’s an awesome recipe 2) Noosa Yoghurt is giving away a $125 Swag Bag to one of my readers!!!! This healthy ham and broccoli egg bake would be perfect with some delicious Noosa yogurt for breakfast, so go to the bottom of the post to enter the giveaway!
Stuffing my face with lots of food over the Easter holiday + leftover ham = this recipe for a Healthy Ham and Broccoli Egg Bake.
I have a serious confession: This blog is making me fat. Now I understand my confession may not be promoting my blog in the most positive way but it’s the truth. I am a small framed person and I have gained about 8 pounds since starting this blog roughly 8 months ago. An extra 8 pounds on a small frame is not good and summer is coming up so that’s another not good.
Trying to reflect on the positive, I think it’s great that I’m averaging only gaining around 1 pound a month, considering I eat a lot of food and it’s always a never ending good time of carbs and sugar and potato chips around here.
Seriously thou, I’m thinking after a year I could be up another 12 pounds and that would be an extra 20 pounds in all. Oh hells naw. It’s time to, as Barney Fife would say, “Nip it in the bud!”
How exactly am I nipping it in the bud? Well, I’ve upped my exercise routine by doing yoga very morning instead of just three times a week and I’m trying to eat low carb or Paleo meals (as much as my blog will let me) through the week and on the weekends.
This Healthy Ham and Broccoli Egg Bake was written down as “Broccoli and Ham Quiche” and I found it in my recipe box, in the low carb section. I’m pretty sure this recipe is one adapted from another when low carb diets (aka, Atkins and South Beach) were all the rage several years ago. It does have 4 tablespoons of flour in it, so it’s not entirely gluten-free, and I have made it before without the flour, but turns out a little watery. Feel free to leave out the flour if a little extra moisture doesn’t bother you.
I like to make this healthy ham and broccoli egg bake for dinner and then lightly fry the leftover slices for breakfast the next morning. A two-in-one meal! Wooohooo!
Hope you enjoy making this Healthy Ham and Broccoli Egg Bake and the delicious leftovers! Also, be on the lookout for more more healthy recipes on TEA if doing daily yoga doesn’t work or if I can’t quit my potato chips.
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 green onions (green & white parts), minced
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large head of fresh broccoli
- 2 cups cooked ham, chopped
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 12 fresh eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces cheese, shredded (choose whichever cheese you prefer, like cheddar, colby, pepper jack, monterey jack, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, combine the butter and olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Set aside and let cool. Separate broccoli head into small florets and steam in a large saucepan for 1 minute. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cooled, finely chop broccoli and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add cooled garlic and onion mixture, finely chopped broccoli, chopped ham, cottage cheese, flour, eggs, and shredded cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Lightly grease a 13X9 baking dish. Pour in the egg mixture and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until fully cooked and middle does not jiggle.
- Enjoy and don't forget to fry a slice of leftover egg bake in a pan with a little bit of butter for breakfast the next day. Delish!
Win a Noosa Yoghurt Swag Bag valued at $125!!! Two chances to win by 1) visiting & LIKING Tasty Ever After’s Facebook page and/or 2) following TEA on Twitter. Here are some of the items in the bag:
- Fridge Coaster
- Water Bottle
- Stickers and Coupons for free Noosa yoghurt!!
- AND MORE…