A healthy Roasted Beets recipe that's simple, nutritious, and delicious! Beets are roasted until tender, then tossed with feta cheese, olive oil , balsamic vinegar, and fresh basil.
Beet season is one of the few things that makes me happy and excited to see cooler weather. And I love the fact that they're a two-fer vegetable too.
You get tender edible greens with your beet! Delicious sauteed and served with these healthy roasted beets with feta cheese and basil.
Healthy Roasted Beets Recipe with Feta Cheese and Basil
There was a huge bunch of glorious organic beets in my organic CSA box this week again and I couldn't wait to cook them with dinner tonight.
Dinner was going to be a beautiful roasted chicken with lots of different root vegetables. Sometimes, I'll just make a little space for the beets and roast them right along with everything else.
There were so many others veggies in the pan, there was no room for the beets! I ended up roasting them separately, but I accidentally took them out a little too soon, before they were done.
Unfortunately, I realized this after I had let them cool, peeled the skins, and starting cutting them into bite-sized pieces.
Plan B: Make a side of healthy roasted beets with feta cheese and basil. So, I put the beets back in the pan, coated them with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and continued cooking until done (for reals this time). The vinegar cooked into the beets and made them extra tasty.
At this point, I was also roasting some raw pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and almonds and was going to add different nuts and seeds to see what tasted best with the beets. Well, wishful thinking because I burnt them all. Every single nut.
Plan C: leave out the nuts, splash with a little more vinegar and oil, add some feta and white pepper, and top with fresh basil.
The result? A simple, straightforward salad that's easy as can be!
Hope you try this Healthy Roasted Beets with Feta Cheese and Basil recipe and enjoy!
Healthy Roasted Beets Recipe With Feta Cheese And Basil
- 3 medium sized fresh beets,
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F/176C degrees.
- Scrub beets well and dry, then coat each with a little olive oil. Place in an ovenproof pan, cover with foil and roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the beets are tender (a knife should easily go into the beets).
- Remove the beets from the oven and set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
- Remove the skin from the cooled beets and cut into bite sized pieces. Place the cut beets back in the pan and toss with 2 tablespoons each of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Roast for an additional 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked beets in a large bowl. Add the basil with the remaining 1 tablespoon each of balsamic and olive oil and mix well. Add feta cheese and toss gently, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
This recipe is perfect for the summer! I love the combination of basil and beets, but have never tried it with feta. I will be making this recipe this week! Thank you for sharing!
Thanks Katie. Please let me know how you like it when you try it
Thanks B. Starvin. Happy to have you as my taste tester. Also, glad everything turned out okay and it was just the beets!
I was lucky enough to be be served this dish by Special K herself and it was killer! Scared the living hell out of me the next day but that is a beet thing so I'm told.....
Try this recipe and I bet you will change your mind about beets