A savory Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce With Fresh Herbs to grace your holiday dinner table this year. Made with fresh or frozen cranberries, this sauce is sure to become a family favorite.
A perfect homemade cranberry sauce for the holidays
I’m loving this cranberry sauce because it’s:
- a little sweet
- the perfect accompaniment to any meat or fish
- INSANELY quick and easy to make
- So it’s time to ditch the canned stuff and make this healthier, homemade version!
I developed this homemade cranberry sauce recipe to go with another dish I made for the Cape Cod Cranberry contest. Since everyone needs a cranberry sauce recipe for the holiday, I decided it would be a good idea to post it separately…but y’all will have to promise to come back next week to check out my last Thanksgiving recipe of the year and the contest’s recipe.
Then it’s on to better things for this blog…like Christmas cookie recipes! WOOOHOOO SUGAR!!!
What to serve with herb cranberry sauce?
So Thanksgiving is less than one week away and I’m sitting here wondering where the past year has gone. Can’t believe the holidays are already upon us and I have zero Christmas gifts bought. RUH ROH!
One thing I do know for sure is what I’m serving for Thanksgiving with this homemade cranberry sauce:
- Easy Roasted Herb Turkey
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Streusel Topping
- Fresh Ginger and Shallot Green Beans
- Sweet Potato Rolls with Bacon Butter
I love whole berry homemade cranberry sauce so much that I could eat a big bowl of it, with a spoon, on it’s own, for breakfast. That’s not too outrageous because it’s probably better for you than most of the sugar-crack cereals out there. I’m also going to make it again for Christmas and serve it with this Double Rum Smoked Turkey. It’s so good with smoked meats.Fre
Try this quick and easy homemade cranberry sauce with fresh herbs on your holiday dinner table this year. Have it on your table in 15 minutes, sit back, and listen to everyone praise your cooking skills. Let me know in the comments below how you liked it and what you served with it. P.S. I’d LOVE to see your social media photos so please tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce With Fresh Herbs
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- 2/3 cup demerara sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (can substitute orange juice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary , minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh sage , minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and fresh ground black pepper
- the zest from 1 fresh whole organic lemon
Optional garnish: minced fresh rosemary, thyme, and/or sage leaves
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine all ingredients and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all cranberries have "popped" open and the sauce has thickened. Mash the cooked cranberries with the back of a wooden spoon to break up the cranberries and make the sauce thicker.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes before placing in a serving dish. Serve warm or cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use. The sauce is better if made the day before to give time for the flavors to meld together.
- Optional: top with minced fresh rosemary and sage leaves to add additional herb flavor.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Sauce will keep tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen up to one month.