Want a fun and unique way to serve margaritas at your next party? Make Homemade Margarita Jello Shots! They have all of the natural flavors with none of the artificial ingredients.
It’s party time and these Homemade Margarita Jello Shots are bursting with the fresh taste of lime and tequila! Okay, maybe the tequila’s not so fresh tasting. Actually you can hardly tell any liquor is in these jello shots and they kind of taste just like a dessert. #dangerous
True confession: I haven’t made alcoholic jelly shots since college. Back then, I used the good old package of Jell-O, with all it’s artificial flavorings and a bunch of other stuff that I can’t even pronounce. I also didn’t read nutritional labels at that time either…
Older and hopefully smarter now, I decided to make my own natural version of homemade jello shots, WITHOUT the packaged Jell-O mix, when it was time to party down for my birthday last week. Armed with a beautiful bottle of tequila a friend of mine gave me as an early birthday treat, I set about researching a recipe for margarita jello shots and came across this one. I LOVED their idea of using a lime peel as a “cup” to hold the jello, so I adapted the recipe slightly and made them for the party.
How to make margarita jello shots without plastic cups!
Using the rind of a citrus fruit as a cup is such an adorable way to present jello shots for a party. The only downside is the white pith inside the rind will make the jello taste bitter if left inside too long. My suggestion is to consume the shots within a 24 hour period OR you can totally forgo all lime rind cup cuteness and just pour the mixture into a small baking pan, allow it to set up, then cut the jello into small squares. Not as cute, but just as tasty!
Everyone loved these homemade margarita jello shots (even the people there who said they don’t like tequila…WHAT?!?!? WHO DOESN’T”T LIKE TEQUILA!!!) and the jello looked so cute in the hollowed out lime rinds. Once cut, they looked just like wedges of a fresh lime! I’ll definitely be making these again for our next summer BBQ party…or for the next taco fiesta.
Try these Homemade Margarita Jello Shots for your next cookout, party, or for whenever you want to eat jello and have a margarita at the same time.
- 12 whole limes
- ¾ cup water
- 2 envelopes unflavored plain gelatin
- ½ cup all-natural frozen limeade concentrate (homemade or store bought), thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 cup tequila
- 1 drop of green food coloring, optional
- 1 tablespoon salt (I used pink himalayan salt)
- Wash and dry the limes. Cut each lime in half and squeeze all the juice out. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and store the remaining juice, covered, in the refrigerator to use for another time. Turn the lime halves inside out to easily peel or scoop out the pulpy insides and set aside.
- Add the water to a medium saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let it sit for a few minutes until it dissolves.
- Heat the water over low heat and stir until the gelatin has fully dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the limeade concentrate and fresh lime juice. Allow to cool down a little more and then add the tequila.
- **Optional: To make the lime jello a green color, add 1 drop of green food coloring to the liquid mixture and mix well.
- Place the lime shell halves on a plate and evenly pour the mixture into them, being careful not to tip them over. Cover and place in the refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- To serve: Remove the jello limes from the refrigerator and cut in half. Sprinkle with the salt and serve immediately. CHEERS!
Adapted from a recipe by Baked Bree