Enjoy family dinner night at home with this easy recipe for Homemade Pan Pizza. Homemade pizza dough recipe and marinara sauce recipe are included!
Best pizza recipe with the best pizza dough recipe
This is my go-to homemade pizza recipe. I love hand-tossed pizza but there is nothing quite like the crispy crust of a pan pizza.
Just plop the dough ball in an olive oil coated cast iron pan (cast iron recipes are the best) and use your fingers to pat it to the edge. The dough is left to rise for a couple of hours, then topped with sauce and lots of toppings.
Then it’s baked at a high oven temperature to get a super crispy thick crunchy crust with a fluffy interior. It can take extra sauce and toppings without overloading the pizza and making a soggy crust.
Homemade Pan Pizza as an easy meal (even on a weeknight!)
Start by making the dough the night before and letting it rise in the refrigerator overnight in a covered container. The next day, let the dough take a second rise in a cast iron pan, then top it with pizza sauce, veggies, meats, etc, and bake it off.
BOOM! Dinner is served and it’s way tastier than that pizza pie from down the street.
A little tip: Save money (and taste buds) by NOT buying that canned pizza sauce on the store shelf. Make your own at home by purchasing a good quality regular tomato sauce (with no sugar or any other “extra” ingredients) and add simple seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, and dried oregano.
Make this Homemade Pan Pizza next time your family wants to order take out pizza and please let me know in the comments how everyone liked it!
- 1 (1/4 ounce package) active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 - 2 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup warm water (105-110F degrees)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup marinara (or make your own quick pizza sauce with plain tomato sauce, then add to taste: garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, and dried oregano)
- 2 cups whole milk mozzarella cheese , shredded
- various toppings of sliced vegetables and/or meats , like mushrooms, onions, peppers, black olives, artichokes, grilled chicken, pepperoni, pre-cooked meatballs and sausage, etc.
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped (optional)
In a large bowl, stir together yeast, 1 tablespoon of flour, and 1/4 cup of warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes or until mixture looks foamy. Stir in remaining water, salt, and olive oil. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
- Knead dough on light floured surface until it becomes a soft, smooth, and elastic ball of dough. Loosely cover bowl with a cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
**Overnight method: Place dough in a covered container and let rise in the refrigerator overnight.
After the first rising of the dough or right after removing dough from refrigerated overnight rising, place 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a 10 inch or 10 1/2 inch cast iron pan and put the dough ball in the pan. Lightly press dough down into the oil and spread it to the sides of pan. Cover with a cloth and let sit in a warm area for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 550F degrees.
Lightly press down on the dough in the pan to release any air bubbles that may have formed while rising and to push dough closer to the edge of the pan. Spread sauce over top of dough to the edge of the pan. Top with cheese and desired amount of vegetable and/or meat items.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until bottom of crust is a golden brown and the cheese is fully melted and lightly brown.
Top with fresh chopped basil, if desired. Remove pizza to a cutting board, cut into 6-8 slices and enjoy!