Celebrate Taco Tuesday with easy Homemade Tacos! Make your own all-natural, homemade taco seasoning mix and never get tacos from a box again!
These Homemade Tacos will be the best thing on your plate all week! Okay, I’m saying that because I like tacos…a lot.
So much sometimes it hurts…as in my tummy hurts.
Case in point, I once ate something like 12 tacos all by myself at the dinner table when I was young (I swear, ask my Mom).
I’m not condoning that sort of behavior, I’m just saying I really, really, really, like tacos.
How to make an easy and healthy taco seasoning mix
Making a homemade taco seasoning mix is ridiculously easy and much better tasting (and better for you) than the pre-made store varieties.
Seriously, have you ever read the label on pre-made taco seasoning? Sugar, corn starch, silicon dioxide and other things that shouldn’t be in the packet.
It’s easy and more economical to make your own with spices and herbs that are typically found in many pantries, like chili powder, oregano, garlic and onion powders.
Tips for using whole spices
The best spices are the kind you can grind yourself, especially using fresh ground cumin in this recipe. It’s so easy!
- Toast whole cumin seeds in a small pan over medium heat until they are lightly browned and smell “toasty”
- Let the cumin seeds cool
- Place cumin in a coffee grinder (one that’s dedicated to grinding spices) and grind until a fine powder consistency
- Store the ground cumin in the refrigerator in a tightly covered glass container to stay fresh
I make homemade tacos at least once a week in my house. Usually on Taco Tuesday, but I’ve been known to celebrate Taco Monday, Taco Wednesday, Taco…
Serve them with tons of fresh pico de gallo on top too.
P.S. If meat isn’t your thing, try this recipe for vegetarian chili to make vegan or vegetarian tacos. It’s chock full of healthy veggies and hearty beans!
And it’s absolutely divine wrapped up in homemade flour tortillas, like a big California burrito.
Hope you make my recipe for Homemade Tacos and please let me know in the comments below how you liked the seasoning mix!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meat (use beef, pork, chicken, or turkey)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all natural ketchup
- 1 cup water
- chopped cilantro , to taste
Optional: add some cayenne powder and/or diced fresh or jarred jalapenos for spicier taco meat
Accompaniments: fresh corn or flour tortillas , freshly shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced avocados, diced onion, and
- In a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground meat, then drain the excess grease.
- Add all the spices, salt, pepper, ketchup, and water. Stir well and let mixture simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately in the fresh corn tortillas, pico de gallo, and the additional accompaniments. Enjoy!
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- Can reheat in a pan over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes or in the microwave for about 2 minutes on medium-high heat