This easy Instant Pot White Beans Recipe takes dried beans to fully cooked in only 30 minutes with no pre-soaking required! An economical and healthy alternative to canned beans that’s ready to use in any recipe.
Cooking dried beans has never been easier thanks to the Instant Pot. No worries about pre-soaking and the beans are fully cooked in only 30 minutes!
How to cook beans
Here are the ways on how to cook dried beans:
- Overnight Soak ~ Let beans soak in 6 to 8 cups of water overnight or for at least 6 to 8 hours. Drain soak water and place beans in a large pot, add 6 cups of water and simmer gently for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Quick Soak ~ Place beans in a pot and cover with 6 to 8 cups of water, then bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let soak for at least 1 hour. Drain soak water and add 6 cups of water to the beans back in the pot. Simmer gently for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Instant Pot Method ~ Throw beans in an IP, cover with water, and set at high pressure for 30 minutes.
The Instant Pot method is definitely the clear winner as the easiest and fastest way to get tender cooked beans from dried.
I also prefer dried beans over canned because they are much more economical and healthier.
You can buy a bag of organic, non-GMO dried beans for a fraction of the cost of canned beans.
Plus, they aren’t processed, so you can control what ingredients are used in cooking them.
Healthy substitute for canned beans
Did you know a one pound bag of dried beans equals 4 (15 ounce) cans of cooked beans?!?
In cooking these beans, I only used water too.
No broth. No salt or other seasonings. Just good ‘ol plain water.
Why no broth? I wanted cooked beans with no additional flavors, so they are ready to use in any recipe.
Cooking them with just water makes them ideal to use in vegan or vegetarian instant pot recipes too!
However, feel free to substitute broth for the water or add your favorite seasoning to the dried beans before cooking, if you wish.
I make these white beans all the time to use them in my healthy chili recipe, White Chicken Chili.
It’s a favorite with family and friends throughout the year, but especially during the New England winter months.
Plus, it’s an easy dinner that can be made in an hour from the bag of dried beans to a big bowl of deliciousness on the table!
More QUICK & EASY Instant Pot Recipes!
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Salsa Verde Turkey and Beans
- BBQ Chicken
- German Potato Soup
- Shredded Beef Tacos
So get out your Instant Pot and make this white beans recipe in only 30 minutes (and with no soaking!)
Please let me know in the comments below what dishes you made with the beans.
Instant Pot White Beans
- 1 pound dried white beans, rinsed and sorted
- 6 cups water (can substitute broth for water)
- Add the beans to the Instant Pot and the water. Make sure the beans are covered by at least 1 inch of water.
- Cover and lock the lid, then turn the value to sealing. Select the beans/chili button (or 30-40 minutes at high pressure).
**Please note: Instant Pots vary in cooking, so may take a little longer with certain ones.**
- When the beans are finished cooking, wait for the Instant Pot to cool down for 10-15 minutes or release pressure manually by taking a hand towel and carefully opening up the steam value on the lid. It is safe to open the lid once all steam has been released.
- Use the beans in any recipes that call for canned beans.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Recipe equals 4 (15 ounces) cans of cooked beans!!
- Feel free to add any type of vegetables, seasonings, or herbs to flavor the beans while cooking.
- Store leftover cooked beans in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Cooked beans can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Make some White Chicken Chili with the beans too!