This Mediterranean Farro Salad recipe is a healthy side dish or vegan entrée using artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and kalamata olives in a homemade champagne vinaigrette. Easy to make and ready to eat in 30 minutes!
A Healthy & Delicious Farro Salad Recipe
Mediterranean flavors are a favorite of mine, especially artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and kalamata olives.
When it was time to create a farro recipe, I knew I had to include those 3 ingredients.
The result is one delicious and healthy salad recipe with a ton of flavor!
Farro is an excellent source of protein, fiber and nutrients (like iron, magnesium, zinc and a few B vitamins).
It does contain gluten, but has lower amounts than today's wheat.
My favorite way to serve this farro salad is with a nice crispy skinned salmon filet, but it also makes for a fantastic vegan salad or vegan side dish.
Whenever I'm looking for vegan or vegetarian salad recipes, it's always at the top of the list.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is farro
Farro is a healthy ancient wheat grain that's sold in a dried form and cooked in liquid until soft.
It has a wonderful hearty, nutty flavor and can also be used in soups and salads.
It can also be substituted for bulgar or rice in a variety of other recipes.
This grain typically takes some time to cook, but I use Trader Joe's 10 Minute Farro, so this dish can be on the table in only 20 minutes!
How to make quick cooking farro
Farro typically takes 30-45 minute to cook, but you can turn it into the quick cooking version.
It just takes a little advance planning and time to soak the grains.
Here's how to cook regular farro in 10 minutes:
- Put the dried farro in a large bowl
- Cover it with water and soak in the refrigerator overnight
- When it's ready to cook, drain the farro, then add it to a pan with 3 cups of water and boil for 10 minutes
- When it's finished, drain any additional water and the farro is ready to use!
P.S. I think that chicken post was only my second recipe on TEA, so please forgive my photography skills. #YIKES!
Give this Mediterranean Farro Salad a try next time you want a flavorful and easy side dish. Please tell me in the comments below how you liked it too!
Mediterranean Farro Salad Recipe With Champagne Vinaigrette
- 1 ½ cups uncooked farro grains (I use Trader Joe's 10 Minute Farro)
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon shallots , finely minced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ¼ cup high quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic chives (optional) , minced (can substitute 1 teaspoon or 1 clove finely minced fresh garlic)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts , quartered (I use Trader Joe's Charred artichoke hearts. Can use artichokes packed in water or oil.)
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes , julienne (I use the ones packed in oil)
- ½ cup kalamata olives , halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leafed parsley , minced
- Prepare farro per package directions. While farro is cooking, prepare the dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, shallots, salt, and pepper. Continue to whisk while slowly adding the olive oil until the vinaigrette is well combined. Stir in the garlic chives or fresh garlic (optional).
- Place the cooked farro in a large bowl. Add the artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and olives. Pour the champagne vinaigrette over the farro mixture and stir well.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the salad and serve at room temperature or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- If using both oil packed artichokes and tomatoes, may want to slightly reduce the amount of oil in the vinaigrette.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator, tightly covered, for up to 5 days.