Mediterranean Farro Salad is a delicious side dish or vegan entrée using artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and kalamata olives in a homemade champagne vinaigrette. Easy to make and ready to eat in 30 minutes!
If I were ever stranded on an island and could take 3 food items with me, it would probably be artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and kalamata olives. Provided the island had an endless supply of NY strip steaks, potato chips, and dark chocolate. And some red wine…and champagne.
Basically, I love anything and everything that has these 3 ingredients in it so, when I wanted to create a farro salad recipe, I knew I was going to add my all-time favorite Mediterranean flavor combo.
Even though I’m a bit of a low carb kick right now, I could eat this Mediterranean Farro Salad every day for lunch or dinner. My favorite way to serve it is with a nice crispy skinned salmon filet, but it also makes for a fantastic vegan or vegetarian entrée.
How to make the easiest farro salad
Farro is a healthy ancient wheat grain that’s sold in a dried form and cooked in liquid until soft. It has a hearty, nutty flavor and can be used in soups and salads or substituted for bulgur or rice in a variety of other recipes.
Farro typically takes up to 30 minutes to cook, but I use Trader Joe’s 10 Minute Farro, so this dish can be on the table in only 20 minutes!
If you don’t have the quick cooking farro, no worries! Just put the regular farro in a large bowl, cover it with water, and soak in the refrigerator overnight. When it’s ready to cook, drain the farro, then add it to a pan with 3 cups of water and boil for 10 minutes. When it’s finished, drain any additional water and the farro is ready to use!
Give this Mediterranean Farro Salad recipe a try next time you want a flavorful and easy side dish. And, if you like this salad, then check out my Healthy Mediterranean Chicken (slightly adapted from a Tyler Florence recipe). P.S. I think that post was only my second recipe on TEA, so please forgive my photography skills. #YIKES!
- 1½ uncooked farro grains (I use Trader Joe's 10 Minute Farro)
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon shallots, finely minced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ¼ cup high quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic chives, minced (optional)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, quartered (I use Trader Joe's Charred artichoke hearts)
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, julienne
- ½ cup kalamata olives, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leafed parsley, minced
- Prepare farro per package directions. While farro is cooking, prepare the dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, shallots, salt, and pepper. Continue to whisk while slowly adding the olive oil until the vinaigrette is well combined. Stir in the garlic chives (optional).
- Place the farro in a large bowl, add the artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and olives. Pour the champagne vinaigrette over the farro mixture and stir well. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve at room temperature or cover and refrigerate until needed.