A Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe that’s ready to eat in only 30 minutes! These easy chocolate cupcakes are topped with a cream cheese frosting and are perfect anytime you are craving a red velvet cake. Without baking a whole cake!
Valentine’s Day is this weekend and I am beyond excited!! Not only for the holiday but also to share this delicious Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe!
I found this recipe from a fellow Food Blogger, Sharon at SavorMania. Once I saw a gorgeous photo of these Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes on Twitter, I knew I had to make them soon.
And by soon, I mean the next day.
An easy chocolate cupcake recipe when you don’t feel like baking an entire cake
Red velvet is one of my favorite desserts. Having grown up in the South, this confection was a tradition served at every family gathering.
How do you make red velvet cake? It’s made with cocoa, vinegar, buttermilk, and red food coloring and then topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting.
My cupcake recipe has a little more cocoa than the norm (more chocolate is always a winner in my book), and has plain yogurt and milk in place of the buttermilk.
This recipe is so easy! It took no time at all to mix the batter together and bake off these homemade cupcakes.
Plus, the mini size is so cute and cuddly and that you’ll want to eat 20 of them in one sitting.
Vanilla frosting or cream cheese frosting recipe?
I didn’t change the original recipe ingredients for the cake, but I did mix the batter together differently (as noted below).
Also, I changed the frosting from vanilla to a cream cheese recipe.
Aside from chocolate ganache, cream cheese frosting is one of my all-time favorites and is perfect on red velvet cake.
I want you all to know, I have no restraint when it comes to cupcakes. Right after this photo was taken, I ate 4 out of the 5 cupcakes shown below.
I left one on the plate, along with the raspberries, because I didn’t want to look greedy. Whatever, there were still 20 mini cupcakes left for dessert later. LOL!
Make this easy and delicious Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe next time you want a chocolate snack. PIN it for later for Valentine’s Day or anytime you want to make delicious cupcakes!
Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs , at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring gel (or use 1 tablespoon liquid food coloring)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar (can subsitute lemon juice for vinegar)
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 4 ounces regular cream cheese , softened
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F/176C degrees. Grease and flour a mini muffin/cupcake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl using a stand-up mixer or hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on high speed until fluffy and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until mixture is pale yellow in color. Add vanilla extract, red food coloring, and cocoa to mixture and mix until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, and cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Add the milk/yogurt mixture and the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating between the two and mixing well after each addition.
- In a separate medium bowl, sift together flour and baking soda.
- Fill mini muffin cups 3/4 from the top and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan, then remove and let cool completely on wire rack.
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients until thoroughly blended. Frost the cooled cupcakes with the frosting.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Serving size is 2 cupcakes
- Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator
- Recipe slightly adapted from SavorMania