Nutella Espresso Rum Popsicles are a perfect adult treat for summer days and nights. An easy frozen dessert recipe, made with only 4 ingredients: bananas, coconut milk, espresso rum liqueur, and Nutella.
An adult popsicles recipe…
Wanna know something? Alcoholic popsicles are hard to make. Okay, they aren’t really that hard to make, but apparently they are for me. Originally I planned on a champagne and fresh fruit popsicle recipe. Unfortunately, I used a champagne made up of all Pinot noir grapes and one wasn’t inexpensive.
I really don’t understand why I use an expensive bottle for this, besides the fact that I thought:
- The popsicles would have a beautiful pink color.
- I would have leftovers to drink.
- And, I would have the popsicles to eat too.
Well, I actually had to use up the full bottle of champagne for the recipe. Then, the popsicles didn’t freeze properly, so there were hard ice crystals all throughout, the beautiful pink color wasn’t really beautiful, and the popsicle sticks slid right out when I tried to remove them. In addition to all this popsicle making BS, I ruined a fantastic (aka: expensive) champagne by freezing it. Sometimes messed up recipes can be saved, but not this time. In the end, I determined the problem was that I underestimated the amount of non-alcoholic liquid I needed to balance out the champagne and freeze properly. What can I say, chemistry has never been a strong point of mine…
How to make popsicles
With the next popsicle recipe, I decided to start with a more stable base, one that would freeze properly when mixed with alcohol and knew Nutella needed to be included because who doesn’t LOVE Nutella recipes???
I use an all-natural organic chocolate hazelnut spread from Italy, Rigoni Di Asiago Nocciolata, BUT I used the name Nutella in my description because EVERYONE knows what Nutella is when you say it. Plus my title would have been too long if I called it “Rigoni Di Asiago Nocciolata Organic Hazelnut Spread with Cocoa and Milk Espresso Rum Popsicles”.
Regardless of the name, these Nutella espresso rum popsicles are easy chocolate snacks. The perfect frozen dessert to enjoy while laying out by the pool or sitting on the couch after you’ve had too much sun.
Looking for a frozen recipe for dairy free desserts? Try these Coconut +Caramelized Pineapple Healthy Popsicles instead!
These Nutella Espresso Rum Popsicles are part of the Popsicle Week 2016 recipe roundup. Let’s all celebrate together with this huge collection of some of the best ice treats recipes from my fellow food bloggers.
- 2 medium sized ripe bananas
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup espresso rum liqueur (like Grind Espresso liqueur or Kahlúa)
- 1/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- Combine all ingredients and process until smooth and creamy using a counter blender, food processor, or an immersion stick blender. Evenly distribute mixture in 8 (4 ounce) popsicle mold and insert sticks in middle of each.
- Freeze until firm for at least 4 hours. To remove, run warm water over the outside of popsicle mold for 30 seconds.
Leftovers will last up to 1 week covered in freezer.