This Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup is a hearty and nutritious lunch or dinner that's ready to serve in less than an hour. Spiced chorizo, earthy kale, and sweet potatoes are simmered in chicken broth and make a healthy one-pot meal for the entire family!
This Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup with sweet potato is easy, healthy, and flavorful meal. Made with fresh vegetables simmered in a rich chicken broth with the savory chorizo adding a nice kick. And it's made in less than an hour!
Sometimes I don't have a lot of time to make dinner, so I need something quick to put on the table. Like this week and dealing with our new foster puppy, Nola. Honesty, I'm at my wit's end because I have no time at all to do anything with her around. She's a typical puppy, getting into everything, so I feel like I'm watching her every second of the day and it's exhausting.
Luckily, Nola will sit in the kitchen chewing on a bone for about 20 minutes while I'm cooking, so dinner tonight needs to be fast and easy. It also needs to be Paleo because it's Monday and the eating-like-crap weekend is over.
I made this Chorizo sausage kale soup with homemade chicken broth and my favorite local farm's pastured raised pork chorizo links that I had on hand in the freezer. Added a nice large bunch of fresh kale from my organic CSA box from this past weekend and sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, and tomato from the pantry. I chopped everything up, threw it in the pot and let it cook, then I grilled the chorizo for an extra layer of flavor.
The local farm raised chorizo I use is very spicy and well seasoned, so I don't need to put a lot of spices in the broth. Easy, healthy, fresh, and absolutely delicious. Plus, I don't feel like a slug after I eat it.
Enjoy this Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup with sweet potato next time you need a clean eating, grain free and gluten free meal on the table in no time!
Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 medium tomato, remove skin and dice**
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large bunch kale, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth, homemade or store bought
- 1 pound chorizo links
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed large pot over medium-low heat. Saute the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato, diced tomato, and smoked paprika. Stir well and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and raise the temperature to medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and stir in the kale. Replace cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Grill or pan-fry chorizo, slice into bite sized pieces, and add to soup. Stir to warm through and serve immediately. Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- To remove the tomato skin: cut an X on stem end of tomato, blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds, then quickly run tomato under cold water to cool down. Dry and gently peel off tomato's skin.