Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup is a hearty and nutritious lunch or dinner that's ready to serve in less than an hour.
Spiced chorizo, earthy kale, and sweet potatoes are simmered in chicken broth to make a healthy one-pot meal for the entire family!
When I don't have a lot of time to make dinner and need something quick to put on the table, I always make soup.
This Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup with sweet potato is a quick and easy one-pot recipe that's one of my favorites.
Made with fresh vegetables simmered in a rich chicken broth with the savory chorizo adding a nice kick.
It's hearty and healthy, yet full of flavor.
And it's made in less than an hour!
Watch how to make this sausage kale soup
- Sausage - I use chorizo because it's my favorite! Any type of sausage can be used and you can even use any type of protein leftovers. Be sure to add any cooked protein at the last few minutes just to heat through.
- Kale - A leaf cabbage loaded with nutritious benefits and it's a wonderful addition in soups! I usually use curly or lacinato kale, however any type can be used.
- Sweet Potato - A starchy, sweet root vegetable that pars well with spicy sausage and greens. Although they have more sugar than white potatoes, they score "low" on the the glycemic index (GI).
- Chicken Broth - The base of the soup. Use a homemade version for the best flavor or use store bought for more convenience.
- Fresh Tomato, Garlic and Onions - Vegetables that provide a great flavor base to the soup.
- Smoked Paprika - Made from Spanish peppers slowly smoked over oak. Adds a touch of smokiness combined with a slight fruity taste. Is easily found in grocery stores, but can substitute it with regular paprika.
HOW TO MAKE THIS SAUSAGE KALE SOUP RECIPE
Here's a brief overview on how to make this easy soup. Please refer to the recipe card below for the specific cooking instructions.
- Brown 1 pound of chorizo sausage in a large pot over medium heat. Remove cooked sausage from the pot and set aside for later.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of cooking oil to the pot with 1 large diced onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Sauté for two minutes.
3. Add ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika and sauté for another minute.
4. Add 1 large sweet potato, cut into ¾ inch cubes, and 1 medium diced tomato. Sauté together for a few minutes.
5. Add 8 cups of chicken broth, turn the heat up to high and bring to boil. Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and lower heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Stir in 1 large bunch of chopped kale. Cover the pot again and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Stir in the reserved cooked chorizo sausage and heat through for a few minutes.
8. Taste soup and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
CAN YOU FREEZE SAUSAGE KALE SOUP
Yes, this soup can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Just place the soup in a freezer storage container and seal tightly with a lid.
Make sure the soup is cooled completely before placing in the freezer.
WHICH KALE IS BEST FOR SOUP
This is really a personal preference because any type will work in this kale soup.
There are many different types of kale, but the two varieties I use most often are curly kale and lacinato kale (also called Tuscan or dinosaur).
Curly kale (left in the above photo) has thicker leaves and stems.
Lacinato kale (right in the above photo) is a darker green color with thinner leaves and stems.
Another type I use often is baby kale. It's found in the pre-washed pre-packaged salad section of grocery stores.
Baby kale has small, tender leaves that can just be thrown into the soup, with no chopping required.
WHEN SHOULD KALE BE ADDED TO SOUP
Roughly chop up the kale and add it to the soup in the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
If the kale has thicker leaves and stems, it may take another 5-10 minutes to cook until tender.
IF YOU LIKED THIS SAUSAGE KALE SOUP, YOU'LL LOVE THESE OTHER TASTY RECIPES
- Loaded Sweet Potato Soup
- Kartoffelsuppe German Potato Soup
- Beef and Chorizo Chili (ONE POT!)
- Asian Meatball Noodle Soup
- Easy Gazpacho
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a comment and a rating below to let me know! I LOVE to hear from you!
Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup
- 1 pound chorizo sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 whole garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 large sweet potato cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 1 medium tomato remove skin and dice (see recipe notes below)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large bunch kale chopped (see recipe notes below)
- 8 cups chicken broth homemade or store bought
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown 1 pound of chorizo sausage in a large pot over medium heat. Remove cooked chorizo from the pot and set aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cooking oil to the pot. Add 1 large diced onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika and sauté for 1 minute . Add 1 large sweet potato cubes and 1 medium diced tomato. Sauté together for 3 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of chicken broth, turn the heat up to high and bring to boil. Cover pot with a tight fitting lid, lower heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and stir in 1 large bunch of chopped kale. Replace cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in reserved cooked chorizo sausage and heat through for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- To remove the tomato skin: cut an X on stem end of tomato, blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds, then quickly run tomato under cold water to cool down. Dry and gently peel off tomato's skin.
- Feel free to use any type of kale. Can use both the leaves and stems.
- If the kale has thicker leaves and stems, it may take another 5-10 minutes to cook until tender.
- Store leftovers in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.