This Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup is a hearty and nutritious lunch or dinner that's ready to serve in less than an hour. Spiced chorizo, earthy kale, and sweet potatoes are simmered in chicken broth and make a healthy one-pot meal for the entire family!
This Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup with sweet potato is easy, healthy, and flavorful meal. Made with fresh vegetables simmered in a rich chicken broth with the savory chorizo adding a nice kick. And it's made in less than an hour!
Sometimes I don't have a lot of time to make dinner, so I need something quick to put on the table. Like this week and dealing with our new foster puppy, Nola. Honesty, I'm at my wit's end because I have no time at all to do anything with her around. She's a typical puppy, getting into everything, so I feel like I'm watching her every second of the day and it's exhausting.
Luckily, Nola will sit in the kitchen chewing on a bone for about 20 minutes while I'm cooking, so dinner tonight needs to be fast and easy. It also needs to be Paleo because it's Monday and the eating-like-crap weekend is over.
I made this Chorizo sausage kale soup with homemade chicken broth and my favorite local farm's pastured raised pork chorizo links that I had on hand in the freezer. Added a nice large bunch of fresh kale from my organic CSA box from this past weekend and sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, and tomato from the pantry. I chopped everything up, threw it in the pot and let it cook, then I grilled the chorizo for an extra layer of flavor.
The local farm raised chorizo I use is very spicy and well seasoned, so I don't need to put a lot of spices in the broth. Easy, healthy, fresh, and absolutely delicious. Plus, I don't feel like a slug after I eat it.
Enjoy this Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup with sweet potato next time you need a clean eating, grain free and gluten free meal on the table in no time!
Chorizo Sausage Kale Soup
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 medium tomato, remove skin and dice**
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large bunch kale, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth, homemade or store bought
- 1 pound chorizo links
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed large pot over medium-low heat. Saute the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato, diced tomato, and smoked paprika. Stir well and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and raise the temperature to medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and stir in the kale. Replace cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Grill or pan-fry chorizo, slice into bite sized pieces, and add to soup. Stir to warm through and serve immediately. Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- To remove the tomato skin: cut an X on stem end of tomato, blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds, then quickly run tomato under cold water to cool down. Dry and gently peel off tomato's skin.
I love this recipe. Ut is amazing, so few ingredients yet incredibly flavorful. I use our local purveyor of smoked chorizo, Olympic Provisions. And so healthy and rejuvenating. Thank you so much, I make it probably once a month.
Thanks for this delicious recipe! We loved it.
Thank you Stacey and so happy you all loved the soup!
Made it second time now. Freaking good.
Making this tonight for sure!
Great! Please tell me how it turns out.
Made this soup last night and it was fantastic! Did not change a thing - it is perfect~! Keep the soup recipes coming - winter is on the way and I love making soups!
Yay! Thank you for trying the recipe and so happy you liked it!
Wow that looks yummy!
Yummy like your black bean soup.