All it takes is 5 minutes to make this all-natural Paleo Herb Breakfast Sausage with all of the flavor and none of the additives, preservatives, or sugar!
NOTE: This recipe was one of my first recipes on the blog and was originally published December 2014. I’ve been on a major clean eating plan and I make a double batch of this sausage each week, so J & I can have quick, healthy breakfasts for the week. I’ve been loving it and wanted to share it with y’all again.
How to make homemade Paleo herb breakfast sausage
Paleo herb breakfast sausage is made with all-natural quality ingredients for a delicious, healthy alternative to the store bought varieties. Lots of herbs and spices with no bad stuff added, like yucky sugar, MSG, and other things with names no one can pronounce. Any type of ground protein (or a mixture of two or three) can be used, like pork, turkey, chicken, or beef, or try a more unusual kind, like venison or bison.
I love switching up the proteins every time I make this recipe for variety. Some weeks, when I want to eat lighter foods, I’ll make it with ground turkey or chicken. I also make it quite often in an extra spicy pork and beef combination too. OMG, so good!
Paleo herb breakfast sausage can be made ahead of time too! Just shape into patties, place squares of cut wax or parchment paper in-between each patty, then place in a zip-lock freezer proof bag and freeze for later use. Remove the desired amount of sausage patties from the freezer the night before and store in the refrigerator to thaw in time for the morning.
For added convenience, the sausage patties can be cooked first, then stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
For all the non-Paleo people or if you just want a cheat day, one of these bad boy patties on a Garlic Cheddar Cheese Angel Biscuit topped with over easy or scrambled eggs makes for an awesome breakfast sandwich. So yummy!
Make a big batch of this Paleo Herb Breakfast Sausage for the week or weekend and enjoy healthy, easy breakfasts at home!
- 1 pound of freshly ground pork, turkey, beef, or chicken
- 1½ teaspoon rubbed dried sage
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine ground meat and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until seasonings are distributed throughout the meat (I use my hands). Use immediately or cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to mingle. At this point, you can leave it covered in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days, until ready to use.
- Can shape into (8) 2-inch patties or leave in bulk form to use in other recipes.
- To cook, place skillet over medium heat (may need to add a little oil if using a lean protein). Once skillet is hot, place sausage in pan and cook until lightly brown and thoroughly cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
- Enjoy and never buy pre-packaged sausage again!