All it takes is 5 minutes to make this all-natural Herb Breakfast Sausage recipe with all of the flavor and none of the additives, preservatives, or sugar!
A healthy homemade breakfast sausage recipe
When you need a healthy breakfast idea, this sausage fits the bill! It’s made with all-natural quality ingredients and is approved for Paleo, Keto, and Whole30 eating plans. There’s lots of herbs and spices with no bad stuff added, like yucky sugar, MSG, and other things with names no one can pronounce. Any type or mixture of ground protein can be used. I’ve used ground pork, turkey, chicken, and beef, or try a more unusual kind, like venison or bison.
I love switching up the proteins every time I make this recipe for variety. Some weeks, when I want to eat lighter foods, I’ll make it with ground turkey or chicken. I also make it quite often in an extra spicy pork and beef combination too.
Make extra and freeze for later use!
This breakfast sausage recipe can be made ahead of time and frozen for later use! Just shape into patties and place squares of cut wax or parchment paper in-between each one. Place them in a zip-lock freezer proof bag and freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to use, just remove desired amount of sausage patties from the freezer the night before. Store in the refrigerator and allow to thaw in time for the morning.
For added convenience, the sausage patties can be cooked first, then stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
For all the non-Paleo people, or if you just want a cheat day, place one of these bad boy patties on a Garlic Cheddar Cheese Angel Biscuit topped with over easy or scrambled eggs to make a killer breakfast sandwich. I also like to keep some of this sausage around to use in a make ahead breakfast casserole.
Make a big batch of this herb breakfast sausage recipe for the week or weekend and enjoy healthy, easy breakfast and brunches at home!
All it takes is 5 minutes to make this all-natural herb breakfast sausage recipe with all of the flavor and none of the additives, preservatives, or sugar!
- 1 pound freshly ground pork (can substitute ground turkey, beef, or chicken)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon rubbed dried sage
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine ground meat and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until seasonings are distributed throughout the meat (using hands is perfectly fine here). Use immediately or cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to mingle.
*At this point, you can leave it covered in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days, until ready to use.
- Can shape into (8) 2-inch patties or leave in bulk form to use in other recipes.
To cook, place skillet over medium heat (may need to add a little oil if using a lean protein). Once skillet is hot, place sausage in pan and cook until lightly brown and thoroughly cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
- Enjoy and never buy pre-packaged sausage again!
- Can make ahead of time: after mixing all ingredients together, place covered in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days, and use as needed.
- To freeze sausage patties, put a piece of cut wax or parchment paper in-between each patty, then place them in a freezer bag. Can be frozen for up to 3 months.