This Seafood Fettuccine Alfredo is the perfect comfort food meal in a creamy, cheesy sauce with shrimp, scallops, and mushrooms tossed with hearty noodles. Serve it as part of an elegant family night dinner or as a romantic dinner for two!
A Different Type of Fettuccine Alfredo
St. Valentine's Day is this weekend and here's a wonderful recipe for seafood fettuccine to make a romantic dinner at home instead of going out. It's creamy, a little cheesy, and absolutely delicious!
Unlike the original fettuccine alfredo pasta dish that originated in Italy and consists of pasta coasted in butter and Parmesan cheese, my version has a few extras, like garlic, shallots, white wine, and heavy cream. I'm not going to lie. This is not a low calorie meal by any means. It's full on fattening, but it's also totally worth the spurge every once in awhile or for a special occasion.
This recipe is very adaptable and can easily be adjusted to personal preference. Make it a shrimp fettuccine alfredo using all shrimp or make it a chicken fettuccine alfredo by substituting out the seafood with bite-sized pieces of boneless chicken breast or thigh.
Make it a vegetarian pasta recipe by adding broccoli, red bell peppers, asparagus, or your favorite veggie. It's an easy meal that takes less than 30 minutes to cook, yet looks and tastes like you spent all day laboring in the kitchen.
How to choose and prepare fresh seafood
A few tips about using fresh shrimp and scallops:
- Always make sure the seafood is as fresh as possible. Shrimp and scallops should smell of the ocean and not feel slimy. A shrimp's shell should be tight against the firm meat and should not have any black spots on the shell or any yellowing. Scallops should be intact and whole; it's not fresh if it's tearing or falling apart.
- Buy dry packed scallops, if possible. Dry packed scallop contain no additives and have a natural color of ivory to beige. They cost a little more but they retain less water and don't shrink when you cook them, like wet scallops do.
- Always rinse all seafood prior to using and dry well with a paper towel. Make sure seafood is completely dry before cooking so it will sear properly in pan and not steam.
Here is the extra piece of muscle that lies on one side of a scallop (the side-muscle). It's a tough piece so remove and discard before cooking.
Make this seafood fettuccine alfredo for Valentine's Day or anytime you want to create a special meal. Did you enjoy this recipe? Please let me know below and don't forget to share it with your family and friends!
Seafood Fettucine Alfredo
- 1 pound uncooked fettuccine noodles
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 pound large shrimp , peeled and deveined, rinsed and dried well
- 8 large dry-packed sea scallops , peeled and deveined, rinsed and dried well
- 3 green onions , finely chopped
- 1 medium shallot , finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Cook fettuccine noodles until al dente, according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once butter is melted add shrimp to skillet in single layer and sprinkle with salt and white pepper. Cook until shrimp turns pink on each side and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove, place on plate, and set aside. Add another 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan, once butter melts, add scallops in a single layer, sprinkle with salt and white pepper, and cook for 90 seconds on each side. Remove and place on plate with shrimp. Set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to pan with green onions, shallots, and garlic, and sauté for 1 minute. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes. Add white wine, and reduce to half.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add cream and stir constantly until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese, taste sauce and add salt and pepper, if needed. Add scallops, shrimp and cooked fettuccine noodles, stir together until everything is well coated and heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately and pass the extra Parmesan cheese!