Slow Cooker Colcannon potatoes are the traditional Irish side dish of creamy buttery mashed potatoes with kale or cabbage cooked in a non-traditional way. The perfect accompaniment for a St. Patrick’s day feast.
Slow cooker colcannon potatoes are an easy take on the traditional Irish side dish of mashed potatoes with kale or cabbage.
It’s one of our favorite Irish recipes and a must have on the table every Saint Patrick’s Day!
I also make it an extra few times times a year because it goes with just about any comfort food.
Loaded with cream and butter, so it’s rich and creamy and completely satisfying. A hearty, stick to your ribs, good drinking base kind of dish to see you through the drinking holiday.
Best potatoes for mashed potatoes
The best potatoes for mashing are ones that have a higher starch profile, like Yukon Golds or Russets. Avoid waxy potatoes, like red or white varieties, that are better suited for roasting or to use in potato salads.
Yukons are fluffy, creamy, and have the perfect flavor for this recipe, plus they are my personal favorite!
For the greens in the colcannon, I like a mixture of cabbage and kale. I’ve seen it made with leeks, chives, and/or spring onions, so feel free to add any of those for some extra flavor.
Usually I cook Colcannon on the stove, but this year I adapted the recipe for the slow cooker. It’s the perfect cooking method for all of you who will be spending Saint Patrick’s day at work.
Or even if you decide to use up a sick day (“wink wink”) and start at the pub a little early.
I usually make a double recipe of this colcannon, so I can have leftovers for a few days.
It’s wonderful topped with a little cheddar cheese and heated up in the microwave the next day for lunch.
Makes awesome potato pancakes for breakfast or dinner too!
Complete your Irish menu with:
So celebrate the St Paddy’s Day holiday with this Slow Cooker Colcannon potatoes recipe. It’s one side dish that will make everyone feel happy and lucky!
Slow Cooker Colcannon Potatoes
- 8 (about 2.5 pounds) medium-sized potatoes , like Yukon Gold
- 3 cups chopped savoy cabbage or kale , or a mixture of both
- 4-6 cups water
- 3/4 to 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into quarters (if using organic potatoes, can leave the skins on and just scrub well).
- Place potatoes in the bottom of a slow cooker and cover with the chopped cabbage or kale. Add enough water to just cover the vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Reduce slow cooker to warm, remove the cooked vegetables and discard the liquid. Put the vegetables back in the slow cooker and lightly mash. Add the half and half and the butter and continue mashing until the mixture is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in slow cooker.