This Slow Cooker Colcannon recipe is the traditional Irish side dish of creamy buttery mashed potatoes with kale or cabbage cooked in a non-traditional way. The perfect accompaniment for a St. Patrick’s day feast.
A slow cooker recipe for colcannon
This Slow Cooker Colcannon is an easy take on the traditional Irish side dish of mashed potatoes with kale or cabbage. It’s one of our favorite Irish recipes and I make it a few times times a year because it goes with just about any comfort food, like braised beef, roast chicken, pork roast, seafood, and corned beef (of course).
Loaded with cream and butter, so it’s rich and creamy and completely satisfying. A hearty, stick to your ribs, good drinking base kind of dish to see you through the drinking holiday.
Choosing the perfect type of potatoes for colcannon mashed potatoes
Yukon Golds are creamy and ideal for mashing (plus they are my personal favorite) so it’s what I used in this recipe. I also like a mixture of cabbage and kale in my colcannon. I’ve seen it made with leeks, chives, and/or spring onions too so feel free to add any of those for extra flavor.
Usually I cook Colcannon on the stove but this year, I adapted the recipe for the slow cooker. It’s the perfect cooking method for all of you who will be spending St. Patrick’s day at work…or even if you decide to use up a sick day “wink wink” and start at the pub a little early.
Whether you are celebrating the St Paddy’s Day holiday at home or in an Irish pub, this Slow Cooker Colcannon recipe is one side dish that will make everyone happy. Round out the meal by serving it with Irish Stout Lamb Stew, Irish Spotted Dog and Irish Coffee!
This Slow Cooker Colcannon recipe is the traditional Irish side dish of creamy buttery mashed potatoes with kale or cabbage cooked in a non-traditional way. The perfect accompaniment for a St. Patrick's day feast.
- 8 (about 2.5 pounds) medium-sized waxy potatoes , like Yukon Gold or Red Bliss
- 3 cups chopped savoy cabbage or kale , or a mixture of both
- 4-6 cups water
- 3/4 to 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , preferably grass-fed
- salt and pepper , to taste
Peel potatoes and cut into quarters (if using organic potatoes, can leave the skins on and just scrub well).
- Place potatoes in the bottom of a slow cooker and cover with the chopped cabbage or kale. Add enough water to just cover the vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Reduce slow cooker to warm, remove the cooked vegetables and discard the liquid. Put the vegetables back in the slow cooker and lightly mash. Add the half and half and the butter and continue mashing until the mixture is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in slow cooker.