Pork Carnitas are tender, richly flavored pieces of crispy pork that just melt in your mouth. So easy and effortless to make with the slow cooker, you can celebrate Taco Tuesday any day of the week.
A flavorful and super easy pork slow cooker recipe
It's Taco Thursday y'all so let's all celebrate by making some easy carnitas. Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas may be the best taco filling EVER to grace a fresh tortilla. Tender and flavorful pieces of crispy pork that just melt in your mouth.
Add simple toppings like fresh chopped cilantro and onions with a touch of salsa and you've got some yummy eats!
I freakin' LOVE #tacotuesday and, if you follow my Instagram account, you know how much I partake in the weekly event, BUT...confession time...I'll eat tacos any day of the week, not just on Tuesday.
Yeah, that's what I said.
Any. Day. Of. The Week.
I don't care what dang day it is, if I want tacos then Mama gets tacos!
I agree, it's pretty damn cool having a specific day of the week reserved just for taco eating; however, I predict there will be a major humanitarian crisis in this country if we continue to act like tacos should be eaten only on a day of the week that starts with a "T".
After all, let's think about the children...
(a big thanks to Dawn/Girl Heart Food for sending me that taco meme)
A crockpot pork recipe for the best tacos
So basically this pork carnita recipe of crock pot tacos are my contribution to society. An easy and delicious way to make a pretty healthy porkalicious filling for all the pork tacos (and it's a super easy slow cooker recipe to have around).
AND it can be made any day of the week! Woooohoooo! Humanitarian crisis adverted. You're welcome society.
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas can be served in tacos, burritos, on salads, in a sandwich, or on their own. There's all sorts of wonderful things to do with the leftovers too, like nachos (classic), hash (with sweet potatoes. YUM!), and my favorite...an omelet with a super melty cheese inside.
Don't eat pork? Try this filling for beef tacos: Slow Cooker Cholula Shredded Beef Tacos
So remember my friends, live every day like it's Taco Tuesday and enjoy these Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas. Tell me what is your favorite taco is the comments below!
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- 4 pounds of a well marbled boneless pork butt , preferably farm raised and grass-fed
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium fresh garlic cloves , peeled and minced
- 1 cup beer
- 1 whole fresh lime , juiced
Optional accompaniments: fresh chopped cilantro, diced onions, salsa and guacamole
- Cut the pork into large 4 inch pieces and place them in the bottom of a slow cooker/crock pot.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle mixture over the pork pieces and add the minced garlic. Using a spoon or hands, coat the pork with the spices and the garlic . Pour the beer and lime juice all over the seasoned pork. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven broiler. Remove the cooked pork pieces from the slow cooker and place on a large baking sheet (can cover with foil to make clean up easy!). Using two forks, gently pull apart or shred the large pork pieces and spread out across the baking sheet. Place under the preheated broiler until pork turns crispy on one side. Remove and serve immediately.
- To serve: stack 1 or 2 warmed corn tortillas on top of each other, fill with the desired amount of shredded pork and top with favorite accompaniments.