Smokey speck and sharp cheddar cheese give this Speck Ham Cheesy Cauliflower dish a wonderfully complex flavor. Serve as a side dish or as an entrée with a green vegetable or a salad.
Speck Ham Cheesy Cauliflower
Guess what I started on Monday? A 10 day whole food detox plan and it doesn’t include anything that is in this recipe! Actually, it does include fresh cauliflower but doesn’t include anything fun, like sugar, potato chips, dairy, or alcohol. Oh yeah and you have to sit down for this one…no caffeine for 10 days.
No joke. Not having my daily caffeine is literally enough to drive me over the edge. I like my 2 to 3 cups of coffee per day and especially love a large mug of it first thing in the morning. Not gonna get it any of that on this detox.
Although, I guess that’s the point of a detox, right? Purging the system of all the daily nonsense we put into it so it works better. Well, after 10 days, I’m indulging in this cheesy cauliflower and not thinking twice about it.
The best cheesy cauliflower
This Speck Ham Cheesy Cauliflower recipe is so quick and easy, plus it’s on the table in 30 minutes.! Oven roasted until it’s all hot and bubbling and is just like creamy mac and cheese, but uses healthy fresh cauliflower instead of pasta.
There’s also a huge dose of speck ham (a whole cup!) because nothing’s better than a bunch of salty pork in a cheesy veggie mixture. The speck gives the dish a wonderful smokey flavor and also pairs well with the sharp cheese. Feel free to substitute regular ham, bacon, pancetta, or prosciutto for the Speck, or even leave out the meat entirely for a completely vegetarian dish and pair with a green veggie or salad for an easy vegetarian meal.
By the way, this is the same Speck Alto Adige PGI that I received as a sample and made these yummy Speck Ham Tater Tots. This speck is so superior in quality and taste and I’m absolutely in love with it!
Speck Ham Cheesy Cauliflower is the perfect comfort food and a great addition to any meal. PIN the recipe for later too!
Smokey speck and sharp cheddar cheese give this Speck Ham Cheesy Cauliflower dish a wonderfully complex flavor. Serve as a side dish or as an entree with a green vegetable or a salad.
- 1 large head of fresh cauliflower , cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 cup Speck , diced (can substitute bacon, ham, pancetta, or prosciutto)
- 3 Tb unsalted butter
- 3 Tb all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk , whole or low fat
- 2 cups fresh shredded sharp cheese
- 1 Tb Dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Butter a 2 1/2 quart baking dish and set aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, steam cauliflower florets for 5 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Leave the pot on the stove and reduce the heat to medium. Sauté Speck until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Using the same pot over medium heat, melt butter. Once melted, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture thickens. Whisk in the cheese and mustard, whisking until the cheese is fully incorporated and the sauce is smooth. Taste the sauce and add salt and white pepper as needed.
- Stir the cooked cauliflower and speck into the cheese sauce and place the mixture in a buttered baking dish. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until bubbling hot.
- Serve hot as a side dish or as a main dish with a salad or green vegetable. Enjoy!
Leave out the pork for an easy vegetarian meal.