The classic hot, cheesy, gooey, and creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe. Super easy to make too!
The NFL playoffs are here and that means Super Bowl celebrations are right around the corner. When J and I have a Super Bowl party, I always serve this Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe. You can never go wrong serving a spinach artichoke dip at a gathering because everyone always seems to love it.
Hot dips especially go well with watching football. And drinking beer. I think football, beer, and spinach artichoke dip is a trinity that should never be separated. While we’re at it, maybe add some buffalo wings in there too.
I love this dip because it’s hot, cheesy, gooey, creamy, and sometimes, a little spicy. To make it spicy, just substitute Pepper Jack cheese for the regular Monterey Jack cheese. I also love it when I feel like I’m eating really healthy because I’m getting my recommended daily intake of vitamins in a single snack session. Seriously, it’s packed with a lot of spinach so it must be healthy, right?
Speaking of Monterey Jack, I was researching the history of the cheese the other day and read that it was originally made in the 1700s by Mexican Franciscan friars in the monasteries in Monterey, California. An American Businessman by the name of David Jack wanted to capitalize on it’s popularity, so he began selling it around the state, and the cheese became known as “Monterey Jack’s” or “Jack’s Monterey”.
Eventually the name changed to Monterey Jack and that’s how it’s known today. Personally, I thought this bit of cheese history was interesting because I always presumed it was first created in Mexico. Well, you really can learn something new every day, can’t you?
I might have put just a little too much spinach in my dip this time. I had a big bag of frozen chopped spinach and I didn’t weigh out the 20 ounces called for in the recipe. I just threw in what I thought was right. I do that a lot. It worked because the dip was still awesome tasting, just not as cheesy as I’d like it.
I hope you try this Spinach Artichoke Dip for your next party, Super Bowl or not, and enjoy!
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 2 (10oz packages) frozen chopped spinach , thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 (14oz can) artichoke hearts , drained and chopped
- 1 (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese , divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese , divided
- salt to taste
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, sour cream, 1 3/4 cups shredded cheese, and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Continue to cook over medium heat until mixture is heated through and well combined. Add salt to taste.
- Place mixture in a baking dish and sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup each of the Monterey Jack and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly hot and cheese begins to brown.