I adore Indian food and tandoori chicken is one of my favorites. I cook all day long and the feast that lands on the table could feed 12 people (but instead it’s just J and I). I make like fifty million side dishes to go along with the dinner too. Okay, maybe not quite that many, but its close. The great news is we always have lots of leftovers and the food is even better the next day, especially since all the hard work is done and I’m just reheating.
Traditionally, tandoori chicken is cooked at a super high temperature in a tandoor (a cylindrical clay or metal oven), so it’s ideal on a grill at home. It can also be successfully cooked in a oven, if you don’t have access to a grill.
- 6 chicken thighs I use the boneless and skinless ones
- 1 cup plain yogurt whole milk or lowfat
- 1/2 fresh lemon juiced
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 garlic clove grated or mashed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4-1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3-4 drops of red food coloring optional
- Combine everything, except chicken, in large bowl. Mix until smooth. Add chicken and marinate for at least 6 hours but no more than 24 hours.
- Preheat over to 450 or preheat grill.
- Take chicken out of yogurt marinade and bake or grill for 30-35 minutes or grill until done. Discard marinade.
- Serve chicken with lemon or lime wedges on side.