Get the party started by picking a bottle of your favorite wine and an ice cube tray to make an easy and delicious Wine Slushy. The perfect frozen drink for hot sunny days.
Wine Slushy Recipe
I just love Summer. Everyone is in the celebrating mood and there's always a fun happening party or event.
School's out, summer vaca is on, the weather's beautiful, the beach water is warm, and there lots of good eats and drinks around all the time.
I think it's the best time of the year.
I also think it's the best time of the year for this wine slushy!
It's the perfect drink to enjoy all summer long or anytime the frozen drink urge strikes
Wine Slushy or Wine Slushie, that is the question...
Actually, it doesn't really matter what you call it because this perfect alcoholic concoction is ideal when you want some wine and a frozen drink too.
Wine slushies have been around for quite awhile now, but I've never tired one before trying this recipe.
My Mom, who knows me too well, emails me an article about freezing wine into slushies.
Then she told me I had to make one ASAP and write a post about it. What Mama wants, Mama gets.
Honesty, I was a little uninspired going into this recipe because I thought:
- How could I love wine any more than I already do, so what's the point of freezing it??
- What a pain to have to freeze the wine and then blend it up to have it taste just like wine.
How to make a wine slushy
After a few weeks of holding this recipe, I finally went for it and the result was that it turned my wine into the super cool drunk uncle of a 7-11 slurpee. OMG, I LOVE THIS DRINK!
I love it so much, all these crazy ideas were going through my mind like:
- How could I have a full-time job driving around a wine slushy drink truck?
- Is it acceptable to drink this as a dessert replacement every day?
This frozen drink recipe is hands down the easiest drink in the world. It's also the easiest recipe in the world too.
Basically it's freezing wine into cubes, slushing it up in a blender, and pouring it into a glass.
I feel like I should make everything a little more interesting here and talk about the science of freezing wine or something-something about the molecular structure.
It ain't rocket science, but it is a damn good drink, especially on a sunny day and by a pool.
Although pool or no pool, I'm pretty sure I'll be drinking/enjoying this slushy not only as a holiday drink, but all summer long.
Choosing the best wine for a wine slushy
For my wine slushy, I used straight up Pinot noir because it's the bottle I already had open (feel free to use red or white wine).
At first I was hesitant to use it, thinking that type of red wine would be too strong and not fruity enough.
Then I thought, Pinot noir is my favorite wine so, alright, if it sucks I'll just let it melt and then drink it as regular wine (genius brain working here folks, can't stop it even if I wanted to).
No worries because my slushie was everything a frozen wine drink should be, so refreshing and delicious, and the perfect summer drink.
It was simple and easy to crush the wine cubes too, as they don't fully freeze due to the alcohol.
A few pulses of my immersion stick blender and my slushy was really to drink. Party on!
More easy drink recipes to try!
- Red Wine Sangria
- Gingered Samurai Martini
- Raspberry Lime Basil Gin Cocktail
- Blueberry Sunrise Margarita
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a comment and a rating below to let me know! I LOVE to hear from you!
- 12 ounces wine , your choice of type and flavor
- 2 wine glasses
- Pour wine in ice cube trays. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Take wine cubes out of tray and place in immersion stick blender or regular blender. Pulse a few times until wine cubes are crushed up and of a slushie-like consistently.
- Divide slushy between 2 wine glasses and cheers!
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Can also freeze wine in a loaf pan if no ice cube trays are available. Scrape a fork across the top of frozen wine to make into a slushy.