Garlic Cheddar Cheese Angel Biscuits
Easy recipe for light and flaky, garlic butter topped, cheddar cheese angel biscuits. Takes less than 30 minutes, start to finish!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 22 minutes
Servings 28 biscuits
FOR THE BISCUITS:
- 1 packet of active dry yeast , about 2½ tsp
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cup buttermilk , can substitute 2 cups milk with 2 Tb vinegar added and let sit for 5 minutes at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
FOR THE GARLIC BUTTER:
- 1 stick unsalted butter , melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
Dissolve dry yeast in warm water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to proof.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knifes or use your hands (like I did!). Add the buttermilk, the yeast mixture, and the shredded cheddar cheese. Dump dough onto floured surface and knead for a couple of minutes. Roll out and cut with biscuit cutter into 2- 2½ inch biscuits. Place biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet and let rest for 5 minutes.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly brown. Brush with garlic butter and serve immediately.
- After the dough is made, you can immediately make into biscuits or store dough in a airtight container in the refrigerator for several days
- When ready to use, take dough out and let come to room temperature
Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 166mg | Potassium: 95mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 70IU | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 1.1mg