Instant Pot Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
This hearty vegan soup is made in 20 minutes with the Instant Pot! A soul satisfying, healthy recipe for a naturally creamy soup that's a quick and easy lunch or dinner meal idea.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped (3 medium)
- 1 cup onion, chopped (1 small)
- 3 whole cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 (4 pound) butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes (about 8 cups total)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
optional toppings: roasted pumpkin seeds and minced fresh garlic chives
Put olive oil in a 6 quart Instant Pot and turn on sauté. Add the chopped carrots and onion and cook until slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin, and nutmeg. Stir well and sauté together for about 1 minute. Turn off the Instant Pot.
Add the butternut squash cubes and the vegetable broth. Place the lid on the Instant Pot; making sure it's locked and the steam value is in the closed position. Set the manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
When the soup is finished cooking, wait 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to cool down or release pressure manually by taking a hand towel and carefully opening up the steam value on the lid. It is safe to open the lid once all steam has been released.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in large bowls topped with roasted pumpkin seeds and a sprinkling of garlic chives, if desired.
- Leftovers can be stored in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
- Soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and blend the soup again before heating to get a smoother consistently.
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 976mg | Potassium: 244mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 8560IU | Vitamin C: 6.5mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 0.8mg