Matcha Snickerdoodle Blondies are a wonderful combination of chewy snickerdoodles and buttery blondies, with a touch of earthy green tea flavor and topped with a crunchy cinnamon/sugar mixture.
With Halloween just around the corner, I wanted to do a sweet treat recipe for us adults. While the kids are all busy with their store-bought little bars of tasteless fake chocolate, you can be indulging in these matcha snickerdoodle blondies. Bake a batch of these, throw a little alcoholic coffee in a thermos, and go treat-or-treatin’ around the ‘hood.
Best. Halloween. Ever.
Blondies are just like brownies but without any yummy chocolate. Normally, I’m not one to advocate any kind of non-chocolate dessert (as evident here, here, and here) BUT trust me when I tell you, these blondies are kickass tasty!
No joke, right before taking the photos, I ate some of the side trimmings to check the taste and couldn’t wait to finish the shoot so I could eat a whole one.
Thank goodness bikini season is over…
See that nice, thick layer of cinnamon and sugar topping? Just like on a snickerdoodle, but a lot more of it. It needs a really good layer of the topping because the blondie is so thick, so just pour it all on top…and don’t even think about the amount of sugar that went into this one square.
Put a little MATCHA in there! I’m always looking for great matcha recipes. The matcha green tea powder adds a little earthy flavor to the blondies that perfectly balances out the sweetness from all that sugar.
AND…here’s what not to do when making these matcha snickerdoodle blondies: not giving the butter enough time to fully soften before adding the sugars. I was impatient and thought I could easily cream sugar into butter that was not at room temperature. So this is happened…for about about 20 minutes…a non-stop 20 minutes…
So if you’re looking for an alternative to the typical chocolate dessert, go bake these Matcha Snickerdoodle Blondies! Don’t forget to share the recipe and please let me know how you like the recipe in the comments below.
Matcha Snickerdoodle Blondies
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs , at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons organic matcha green tea powder , culinary grade and unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 organic ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground nutmeg
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a 8X8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars. Add eggs, one at a time and fully mix in each egg before adding the next one. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, matcha powder, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture at a time to the butter mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour the thick batter into the prepared baking pan, use a spatula to smooth and even it out in the pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon and the sugar. Using a spoon, sprinkle the mixture evenly all over the top of the batter, covering it completely. Place on the middle rack in the preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, place pan on top of a cooling rack, and let blondies cool in the pan for 10 minutes. After the blondies have cooled, lift them out of the pan using the sides of the parchment paper, place on a cutting surface and cut into 9 large squares, or smaller ones if desired.