Get out the smoker and make these easy, low carb Smoked Jalapeño Poppers now! Deliciously spicy bites made of fresh jalapeños filled with brie cheese, bacon wrapped, smoked on a grill, and eaten with a crisp apple slice.
These tasty little Smoked Jalapeño Poppers with bacon + apple +brie will be the HIT of any party or get-together!
How to make the best smoked jalapeño poppers
Make the best poppers by using fresh jalapeños, a high quality cheese and an all-natural bacon.
I used creamy Brie cheese and it was the perfect compliment to my homemade bacon.
The additional of a slice of a tart Granny Smith apple also offered a cool contrast against the spicy jalapeño.
One of the great things about cooking with fresh jalapeños is the level of spiciness of each one is always a surprise.
Your mouth is either going to be happily tingling or on blazing hot fire for the next 30 minutes. Good times!
The easiest way to deseed a jalapeño
See all those cute little seeds inside the peppers? Those are hot demon seeds that will burn your mouth all to hell.
They need to be removed prior to stuffing the peppers to reduce the spiciness, but don't even think about using fingers to scrap them out.
If fingers are used, there will be a burning sensation that will sear through your skin, getting all under your fingernails.
The worst part is even after washing your hands repeatedly, you'll absentmindedly rub your eyes later with those same fingers and you'll wish damn jalapeños never ever existed.
How to deseed peppers the right way:
- Wash the jalapeños and cut in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon or butter knife and scrape out the seeds and veins of the jalapeño.
- It's always a good idea to wear gloves too, especially if you have sensitive skin.
A tasty low carb appetizer
Pepper poppers are a favorite go-to, low carb snack of mine and these are no exception.
Smokey, cheesy, spicy goodness, wrapped in crispy bacon, all on top of a tart apple slice.
It's perfection in a single bite.
Different cheeses can be used for the filling too. Picking the right cheese will make or break jalapeño recipes.
Some of the best cheeses I've used are:
- Pepper Jack
- Monterey Jack
- Gouda (try the smoked version for extra smokiness)
I used Brie in this recipe, because it was what I had on hand and it worked out perfectly.
The soft cheese molded right into the pepper cavity and made it easy as pie.
Pieces of raw bacon wrapped around the peppers, fully encasing the cheese, and it stayed put, so I didn't even need to use any toothpicks.
Jalapeño poppers grilled or baked
This bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers recipe is cooked by smoking, but they can easily be made in the oven.
Just place them on a baking sheet and bake at 400F/204C degrees for 20-30 minutes. The full oven instructions are included in the recipe card below.
Here's more smoked and grilling recipes!
- Spicy Grilled Shrimp
- Smoked Porchetta
- Smoked Turkey
- Grilled Herb Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- Smoked Chicken Thighs with Ham, Cheese, and Pickles
- Grilled Watermelon and Jalapeño Jack Cheese Bites
- Grilled Vegetable Tuna Salad
- Smoked Meatloaf
- Easy Jerk Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Smoked Jalapeño Poppers (made with my homemade bacon) have become one of my family's and friends' favorite recipes.
Try them soon and please let me know in the comments below what you think of them!
Smoked Jalapeño Poppers
- 14 fresh whole jalapeños
- 8 ounce Brie cheese
- 10 slices bacon, cut into thirds
- ½ fresh Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into ⅛ inch thin slices
- Wash and dry jalapeños, cut in half, and scoop out the seeds and vein from the inside with a spoon or butter knife. Take small slices of the Brie cheese and mold into the pepper halves, then wrap one bacon piece around each pepper. Place the prepared poppers in an aluminum foil pan and set aside.
- Prepare the smoker using a fruit wood (apple, cherry, etc). Once the smoker's temperature reaches 225F/107C degrees, place the popper's foil pan on the grill rack. Smoke for 2 hours.
- Arrange apple slices on a serving platter and place one smoked jalapeño popper on top of each slice. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- To bake in the oven: place the poppers on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F/204C degrees for 20-30 minutes.